Save the Children Federation, Inc. Overview
Target demographics: children
Direct beneficiaries per year: 125 million children in 120 countries, through the Save the Children global movement
Geographic areas served: the U.S. and around the world
Programs: early education, healthy kids and disaster relief in the United States and education, health, hunger, child protection and HIV around the world.
Save the Children is the leading independent organization creating lasting change for children in need in the United States and around the world. For nearly 100 years, Save the Children has been helping children survive and thrive by improving their health, education and economic opportunities, and in times of acute crisis, mobilizing rapid assistance to help children recover from the effects of war, conflict and natural disasters.
Save the Children is a member of the International Save the Children Alliance, a global network of 29 independent Save the Children organizations working to ensure the well-being and protection of children in more than 120 countries.
In 2012, the Save the Children movement reached 125 million children in 120 countries.
Here are some of the highlights:
- Health: We reached 21 million newborn babies and mothers through survival programs
- Hunger: 2.5 million children benefited from our efforts to help families feed and support themselves
- Education: We reached 10 million children with basic education
- Emergencies: We reached 8.1 million people with disaster relief and emergency response
- Protection: More than 1 million girls and boys were protected from exploitation, abuse and neglect
- United States: Over 185,000 children were helped by programs in the U.S.