Over 1.8 million nonprofits and charities for donors, volunteers and funders

Stem Alliance Of Larchmont-Mamaroneck Inc

17 pageviews

Claim This Nonprofit

More Info

Add to Favorites

Share this Nonprofit

Donate

Nonprofit Overview

Causes: Children & Youth, Youth Development Programs

Mission: Our mission is to organize stem education and enrichment initiatives in order to inspire a community where all are empowered to embrace stem passions to solve problems.

Programs: We worked with the mamaroneck union free school district to organize and run the co-op summer enrichment program for the summer of 2017. The co-op summer enrichment program provides six weeks of academic and summer recreational experiences for 230 mamaroneck union free school district students. The academic focus of the program was project-based inquiry in stem disciplines like biology, engineering and robotics. In summer 2017 89% of the students who attended received free lunch or reduced lunch. The remaining 11% of students were nominated for the program by a professional educator based upon social, emotional, or adademic needs. The program also employs 40 diverse, local teenagers to promote leadership opportunities and employment in stem education.

robotics and computer science education promotes robotics education with the goal of building a coordinated series of robotics education experiences for all grades. Our work in robotics education speaks directly to the projected future demand in this field and the need to educate children for the jobs of tomorrow. Our work in this area includes leading and administering two first lego league robotics teams that competed in their regional league; creating and administering three all girls robotics programs that emphasized building and coding as well as introductions to examples of women working in robotics and technology with a special focus on humanitarian uses of robotics technology; hosting hour of code week serving over 6,000 students and community members with both in-school and after-school enrichment experiences including bilingual workshops; bringing technology experts to mamaroneck high school to lead roundtable discussions about career paths in computer science and technology; and hosting robotics clubs at the middle school to create increased opportunities for children to learn basic robotic skills and to encourage them to join one of the district's robotics teams in the future.

stem-tastic is a family festival of stem learning through hands-on activities for all ages. The event makes learning fun and brings stem skills to life through a variety of challenges such as a rubik's cube competition, biomimicry matching, chemistry experiments, lego construction feats and more! Throughout the evening attendees stamp their challenge cards to record how many experiences they have completed. The night's highlight is the chain reaction challenge in which individuals and groups create a large-scale rube goldberg machine. The event is free and open to the public. The event requires almost 100 volunteers and engages dozens of community partners. There are approximately 1,000 attendees at the event.

Community Stories

0 Stories from Volunteers, Donors & Supporters