Mission: Rock the Earth is a not-for-profit, national public interest environmental organization dedicated to protecting and defending America's natural resources through partnerships with the music industry and the world-wide environmental community. We act as advocates to ensure the existence of a sustainable and healthy environment for all and represent those individuals and communities whose environment or natural surroundings are directly and adversely affected by others.
Results: Highlights from 2010 include:
• RtE legal and technical staff worked on over a dozen substantive matters, highlighted by continued work on RtE's second lawsuit against the Bureau of Land Management to prevent the federal government from leasing Colorado’s Roan Plateau under a drilling plan that will needlessly damage important wildlife habitat, traditional uses and cherished public lands.
• After two years of public education, activation and advocacy, Los Angeles Power and Water withdrew plans to build a high-capacity power line through the California desert, which would have impacted Joshua Tree National Park.
• RtE had a presence at over 142 concert dates throughout the United States.
• RtE raised over $125,000 from memberships, sponsorships, donations, auctions and grants, including significant funds from the Educational Foundation of America.
• RtE expanded its highly successful cellular telephone collection and recycling campaign, resulting in nearly 5,000 cell phones being kept out of landfills.
Rock the Earth, a national environmental advocacy organization, has grown to become a respected member of both the environmental community and the music industry. Not only do fans seek them out at concerts and festivals to find out what they are working on, but bands have even suggested environmental projects on which their volunteer environmental lawyers and scientists work. They educate thousands of concert patrons each year. They have challenged the federal government on several public lands issues that are important to me, and been successful in helping elevate awareness of critical environmental issues that are not getting widespread public attention.