This is a top-notch organization with an incredible understanding of inclusion. Personally, I am a different person because of my exposure to the VCIC's programming and employees. I celebrate individuality, and I no longer overlook differences - I embrace them. I've seen
Mission: The Virginia Center for Inclusive Communities works with schools, businesses, and communities to achieve success through inclusion.
Results: During a recent 9-year period, the Virginia Center for Inclusive Communities increased the number of programs and events delivered annually by over 475%.
VCIC's program work has received a number of awards and recognitions:
- Received Partners in Progress Award from Diversity Richmond (2015)
- Named a "Top-Rated Nonprofit" by GreatNonprofits.org (2014, 2013, 2012)
- Received the Pacesetter Award for Excellence from Partnership for the Future (2013)
- Received the Interfaith Council of Greater Richmond's Clergy & Community Organization Award for promoting interfaith harmony (2013)
- Commended in House Joint Resolution No. 790 by the Virginia General Assembly (2013)
- Received the Vivian C. Mason Award from the Urban League of Hampton Roads (2012)
- VCIC's Project Inclusion named "The best program we have seen in the nation for sowing the seeds of non-violence, inclusiveness and understanding in a high school population" in No COLORS: 100 Ways to Stop Gangs from Taking Away Our Communities (2012)
- Named a Richmond History Maker by the Valentine for "Improving Social Justice" (2011)
- Received the GuideStar Exchange Seal for organizational commitment to transparency (2011)
Direct beneficiaries per year: over 20,000 Virginians through over 200 workshops, retreats, assemblies, and forums
Geographic areas served: Virginia, with chapters in Lynchburg, the Peninsula, Richmond, and Tidewater/South Hampton Roads
Programs: ALLIES INSTITUTE (Four-day retreat for college students to foster inclusion on campus) | BREAK THE CYCLE: BE THE CHANGE (Assembly program on roots of prejudice for middle schools, high schools, and colleges) | CUSTOMIZED PROGRAMS (Workshops and consultation tailored to particular needs of sponsoring institution) | DIVERSITY DIALOGUE DAY (One-day forum for high school student leaders) | EDUCATIONAL EQUITY INITIATIVE (Educator professional development to reduce racial and socio-economic achievement gap) | HAROLD M. MARSH, SR. CONNECTIONS INSTITUTE (Five-day retreat for high school students from across Virginia) | INCLUSIVE WORKPLACES INITIATIVE (Professional development for businesses and non-profits) | PREJUDICE AWARENESS SUMMIT (One-day forum for middle school student leaders) | PROJECT INCLUSION (Retreat for high school students from one school/district) | PUSHED: EXPLORATIONS INTO BULLYING (Assembly program focused on bullying for middle/high schools)
This is a top-notch organization with an incredible understanding of inclusion. Personally, I am a different person because of my exposure to the VCIC's programming and employees. I celebrate individuality, and I no longer overlook differences - I embrace them. I've seen this program figuratively and literally change lives of the students who participate and I strongly believe that this is the way to change the world.