Ways To Work Overview
Target demographics: Low-income families who earn 80% or below their geographic area's median family income.
Direct beneficiaries per year: 1,400 families
Geographic areas served: United States
Programs: Ways to Work provides an alternativeto predatory lenders for people with a demonstrated commitment to achievingincreased self-sufficiency and intent on pursuing a higher degree of success inmainstream financial markets. The loans provided by the program are primarily used to purchase or repair a car, thus addressing a common barrier to full employment for many: reliable and flexible transportation.
Our vision is a healthy society and strong communities for all children and families.
• We understand that people need financial help at various times in their lives.
• We assume the best about loan applicants and support them in living up to their highest aspirations.
• We believe people want to better themselves, improve the lives of their children, and contribute to society.
• We believe that small amounts of money at the right moment can make a great amount of difference in moving working poor families along the path to self-sufficiency and away from welfare and dependency.
• We welcome and support applicants who exhibit a potential for success in work or school even though they may have had limited success with past credit experience.
• We believe that the climate of mutual support and responsibility within informal local communities can provide built-in incentives for borrowers to repay loans.