ORANG UTAN REPUBLIK FOUNDATION INC Overview
Target demographics: low-income college bound students in North Sumatra, Aceh and West Kalimantan, Indonesia; grade school through high school students in N. Sumatra and Jakarta, Indonesia; people at all levels of Indonesian society that threaten the survival of orangutans.
Geographic areas served: Indonesia
Programs: * Orangutan Caring Scholarship program, a collaboration with the Orangutan Information Center in Sumatra & Yayasan Palung in Borneo that provides 4-year scholarships to needy students in Biology, Forestry and Veterinary Science;
* LP Jenkins Memorial Fellowship, provides funds to graduate students conducting field research on orangutans and rain forest;
* Mobile Education & Conservation Unit, a program with the Orangutan Caring Club of N. Sumatra provides education and training to villagers living near orangutans to reduce the human-wildlife conflict and improve their quality of life;
* Orangutan Caring Week, a collaboration with orangutan groups, zoos and others to call attention to the plight of the species each November;
* 61 scholarships to Indonesian students over the past 8 years;
* 6 fellowships to Indonesian and international students over the past 7 years;
* programs to thousands of grade school students in N. Sumatra and Jakarta;
* formal and informal education programs to villagers in 16 communities near Gunung Leuser National Park;
* Orangutan Caring Week activities in Indonesia and venues around the world (since 2005)
* support for the Sumatran Orangutan Education Conference, Workshop and Summit (2006) that crafted curricula specific to reduce the killing of orangutans;
* support to the Orang Utan Republik Education Initiative Indonesia and Orangutan Caring Clubs to build institutional capacity to further the mission of the foundation (since 2006).