Congo Initiative Overview
Target demographics: * The majority of students at UCBC are between the ages of 18 and 24.
* Community members served through the Centers for Community and Family Renewal and Creative Arts are members across the local community--from children through adults.
* The Center for Church Renewal and Global Missions and the Center for Professional Development target adults in the immediate community as well as the region of eastern DRC.
Direct beneficiaries per year: 1000
Someone who had 3 hours of volunteer time could: research current events in D.R. Congo, write book summaries on D.R. Congo, provide feedback on marketing materials, respond to general inquiry communications
Geographic areas served: Eastern Democratic Republic of Congo (North Kivu province)
Programs: Service Learning at UCBC: http://ucbcservice-learning.blogspot.com/
* Forty-eight graduates will receive their diplomas, having completed their undergraduate studies at UCBC.
* Major grant from Eastern Congo Initiative awarded in April 2011 for civic education, gender equity initiatives, radio/media infrastructure and technological development for academic programming.
* In April 2010 UCBC received its official charter and full accreditation from the Congolese government.
* Construction on the University Chapel and Community Center, the centerpiece of the UCBC campus, nearly half-completed, is currently used for classrooms, meetings, and chapel.