My Nonprofit Reviews
Review for The Oral Cancer Foundation, Newport Beach, CA, USA
I was diagnosed with an HPV+ oral cancer that had to metastasized to one lymph node in March 2017. The Oral Cancer Foundation provides an outstanding *moderated* board by other cancer survivors.
Using the board I:
- Selected a certified cancer center 4 miles from my house by late March 2017
- Chose surgery + radiation rather than radiation + chemo by May 2017
- Learned "best known methods" from previous patients - I did NOT need a feeding tube, I ate solid foods until my 6th week of radiation, and I did not have significant weight loss.
- I had very little skin damage compared to most patients (for example, my skin did not peel despite 30 radiation treatments.)
- Followed my speech and swallowing exercises to the letter and did not lose any range in how far I could open my mouth and had no loss of function in speaking.
- Was able to get feedback on questions as they occurred.
- Was given realistic expectations from former patients (e.g. taste loss, salivary gland function) that was glossed over by the doctors.
I highly recommend the Oral Cancer Foundation for anyone with oral cancer and their support.