My Nonprofit Reviews
Review for Cross-Cultural Solutions, New Rochelle, NY, USA
1. Pre planning consultant was good and always offered assistance on time.
2. At the time of getting close to date of trip, it was not very clear my work assignment. I had to insist to get a meeting over the phone in order to get a brief about it. It would be better to assign the tasks at glance, a list 2 weeks before the trip so anybody can prepare. And exchange expectations and questions. Because experienced volunteers would like to use at list every weekday to use our professional skills.
3. It would be very helpful, to update or train the local coordinator, about how these days in America we are volunteering. Some people might travel just to spend time, but some other like me, we invest our time and money in order to be very productive during the trip of volunteering and comeback home fulfilled.
4. About the condition of the home-base: Since Delhi is a city with high pollution, so is not a city to walk or spend time in a park, or streets, it would be helpful, to have the apartment (home-base) with some windows so daylight can be seen inside. This means when is early in the morning you can meditate or after a day of work you can relax with a book or writing your journal.
5. The office of the local staff should be separate from the room or home-base. This gives a bit of privacy on hours or days that there is no work to do. Specially if a woman is the only volunteer and the rest of the local staff are just "man".
6. Special thanks to: preparation and assistance provided from "vicky" was very remarkable. (The local personal from CCS Delhi). He was going with me everyday to the schools were I was doing "Dental screenings", he also taught me very useful words in Hindu, show me the cultural aspects of the city. and very interesting temples.
Although I was the only person during my week of volunteering in Delhi, I was able to meet my expectations 100%, about applying my professional skills as a dentist and experienced volunteer.