My Nonprofit Reviews
Supporting Causes I Care About
Review for Under My Wing Avian Refuge AKA Under My Wing AKA UMWAR, Wantage, NJ, USA
Addressing Tammy Best review for Under My Wing and my personal review of Under My Wing Avian Refuge :
Dear concerned reviewer Tammy Best,
I am sorry but Under My Wing has not addressed your questions or has not received your inquiry on a timely fashion. Your post does not specify the manner of your communique with Under My Wing nor the date of such which I believe makes this very mysterious.
As one of their volunteers who address most requests I can assure you it has not crossed our desk. Please feel free to contact Paula or one of the Board Members directly via email [email protected] should you have any additional questions we can help you with.
Most of these answers are listed on our website and our Facebook page under about us section. However, to make it simple I personally am addressing your question here in my review of Under My Wing Avian Refuge.
Answers to the questions in your review:
1. Are the birds vetted?
Yes, all the birds that enter Under My Wing are vetted. Vets we use: Dr. Todd Wolf of Companion Animal Hospital in Parsippany NJ, Dr. Micheal Ramieri of Advanced Animal Care in Franklin, NJ who is also our in-house veterinary and conducts two general checkups on the birds twice a year, • Under My Wing has also utilized Highland Animal Hospital in Sparta NJ as well as Dr. Pompton Lakes Animal Hospital.
How are you funded?
• Under My Wing is publicly funded
What are your adoption requirements?
• Our requirements are listed on our website as well as in our adoption application; please feel free to ask for one via email.
• Under My Wing has no set adoption as most rescues or stores do according to size of bird as listed in our adoption application. We are a sanctuary for exotic birds and a donation is required to support one of the permanent residents of the same size bird they adopt. This tax deduction giving depends on their affordability and the bird of choice and its particular needs.
What type of food do you provide?
• The food provided for the birds at Under My Wing are high quality food from companies such as: Harrison Bird food, Lafeber Volkman and Zupreem for smaller birds. In addition to fresh fruits and vegetables, some cooked foods. Our cost of food is over $20,000 per year and yes we purchase all dry food on wholesale.
Do the birds get daily attention?
• Most definitely
Can you give references of other people in the field that support you?
• I believe there are too many people to list. However our updated website will have a list of our benefactors, non voting and voting members, supporters and volunteers.
The answers you gave in the “Ways to make it better” leads readers to assume that you are preferring not to deal with Under my Wing but have a possible rescue in the field you would rather promote. I am sure that Under My Wing applauds your efforts. However discrediting Under My Wing's reputation will unlikely help us be less transparent or prevent us from conducting our good works for both parrots and people.
Again please, feel free to contact Under My Wing directly via email should the need arise.
My review of Under My Wing Avian Refuge
I am delighted to spend my time helping such a wonderful organization. I admire their work and I love the birds.
If I had to make changes to this organization, I would...
Be less transparent to avoid bullying and jealousy.
Would you volunteer for this group again?
For the time you spent, how much of an impact did you feel your work or activity had?
Did the organization use your time wisely?
Would you recommend this group to a friend?
When was your last experience with this nonprofit?