My Nonprofit Reviews
Review for North Star Foundation, Storrs, CT, USA
Our NS dog was for our son with Aspergers. The dog was diagnosed with Epilepsy and Diabetes at 1 year old. North Star never paid for the first year of routine vet bills (per the contract), didn't pay the bill for our dog's specialist evaluation at 1 year and absolved themselves of anything to do with our dog, our son and our situation. $5,000 is A LOT of money to pay and have an organization have no responsibility for the outcome. NS refused to supply us with another dog, refused to pay any bills, and stopped replying to emails. Look elsewhere for help and have a lawyer if you go with NS.
When was your last experience with this nonprofit?
There are many inaccuracies in this "review," most of which are easy to prove...one is that we at North Star never paid for Moxie's training and vetting for her first year of life...this is untrue and I have all the cancelled checks in case anyone wants proof.
Next, Moxie is an extremely well bred dog that has zero history of diabetes or seizures in her carefully bred line. Her trouble with seizures and diabetes began after she ingested FOUR brownies, and as chocolate is poisonous to dogs this is where I (as well as Moxie's vet) trace to the beginning of her seizures/epilepsy. It is the vet bills relating to this "indiscriminate eating" that we didn't cover, but we did cover the bill to have Moxie's hips cleared as one of the complaints Natalie had was that Moxie had hip dysplasia, which she does not as proved the the x ray they took of her hips at Texas A & M.
Here are the words from Texas A & M's report on Moxie, followed by Natalie's own words of how well this placement was doing before Moxie ate the brownies (Moxie also ate part of a plant that caused her to "shake" and Texas A & M notes Moxie's history of "indiscriminate eating.")
We do not have the funds and nor is it in our contract to cover vetting for dogs that suffer illness or disability based on indiscriminate eating; our contract is clear we will only cover routine vetting for our dogs' first year, unless a vet determines the cause of the disability is genetically based. This clearly is not the case here, and although I personally like this family very much, I can not take responsibility for what happened when Moxie ate the brownies and perhaps poisonous bush...either one of these documented incidents could have caused the resulting diabetes/seizures.
I am not taking any steps to take Moxie away, but cannot certify her as a North Star dog due to her seizures and the necessary medications she must now take to prevent them.
I am happy Natalie and her son clearly love Moxie and have no complaints on her end save her seizures/diabetes, and I hope and trust she is working well with Natalie's son inside their home. What happened was clearly an accident, but one where we cannot and will not take financial responsibility for; due to the fact that Natalie won't take any responsibility for what happened with Moxie we will not be making any new placements with her as I would be afraid of history repeating itself, but I do wish her and Moxie well, as I continue to care about Natalie's son and as I understand that he does love Moxie, my hope that at least something positive is coming from this placement.
REPORT FROM TEXAS A & M UNIVERSITY ON NORTH STAR MOXIE
"About 10 days ago, Moxie ate a small portion of brownie. Later that night,