Mission: The mission of Turn Your Life Around (T.Y.L.A.), Inc. is to support, encourage,
and empower homeless men and women in sustaining their lives in recovery from drugs, alcohol and mental health issues.
Results: 2012 Year to Date services are as follows:
• This year alone Turn Your Life Around has served 345 women.
• We have placed 31 women in sober living facilities, where their recovery process can begin.
• We have assisted 3 women in the regaining their drivers license through the Homeless Court Program. This program substitutes outstanding fines with community service hours and substance abuse treatment.
• Our Employment Service class has assisted 23 women in resume writing, interview techniques, job skill assessments and job search.
• Our “Dress for Success” program has given 42 women from various recovery programs in the community over 120 sets of clothing, undergarments and hygiene packets.
• Turn Your Life Around has job training in our onsite retail thrift store. In
collaboration with the Department of Economic Security Workforce we train women in marketing, sales, inventory and customer service. This satisfies the requirements for their monthly cash assistance, while preparing them for re-entry into the workforce. Year to date we have accommodated 25 women.
• We mentored 18 women, showing them how to achieve a life style that is beneficial to productivity. We want to see these women live a fulfilling life with their families and become strong examples for their children.
• We have given out 18 (2) way bus passes to women for transportation to and from services, we have supplied 10 women with infant and toddler clothing and have helped 4 women complete the community service hours needed to be released from probation and complete their legal requirements.
Programs: clothing giveaway, peer mentoring, employment service classes, recovery support groups, relapse prevention
I have been an advisor with Turn Your Life Around since they opened in 2007. I have seen the program grow and wintnessed the staff's care and support. The client's tell me repeatedly how much TYLA has done for them, and how they have needed them in their recovery. They need funding for their program to grow, and work on resources to help them with this continually. They are simply understaffed. The staff does whatever it takes to keep their small agency going. They are amazing !!