What is the Touchdown Club?
The Touchdown Club has been in existence for nearly 68 years. Like many organizations that have been around that long, it has changed it's goals and objectives. However; one thing has been constant--working with the youth of our community. To familiarize everyone with the Club's history, here is a brief rundown.
The Touchdown Club is the oldest sports organization in Summit County, established in 1941. The original goal of the Club was to serve the University of Akron's football program as a booster club. It started as part of the University of Akron's "A" Association organization (Akron's lettermen's club) to raise money for recruiting and to aid football coach Otis Douglas. When World War II began, Douglas left the University for the Navy and a disagreement with President Hezzelton Simmons caused the Touchdown Club to separate from the "A" Association. It became its own organization on November 5, 1942. The first President of the Touchdown Club was Edward Nahm. After the Club became an independent organization, new objectives were set which changed the purpose and focus of the Touchdown Club. The new objectives included:
Sponsoring, promoting, publicizing, and supporting activities for the youth of Summit County and
Recognizing superior achievements in athletics / social activities.
Providing a medium through which youth-minded individuals could invest part of their time, effort, and resources.
The Club is now an organization dedicated to helping the youth of Summit and Portage County, along with Cloverleaf, Medina Highland and Wadsworth Schools in Medina County .
The Akron Touchdown Club Foundation was formed in 2010 to enable the organization to expand and increase its scholarship program for high school seniors in both Summit and Portage County. The scholarship program began under the Greater Akron Touchdown Club in 1953. To date 214 student/athletes have received stipends ranging from $200 to $1,000. The total amount expended tops $164,000. The awards are presented at the Winter Banquet in April. The Foundation is directed by a Board of Directors which meets monthly to conduct its business.