The Future Leaders Institute Overview
Programs: What if every young person could pursue their dreams in a way that created real solutions to our community’s everyday problems? They can at The Future Leaders Institute!
The Future Leaders Institute (FLI) was founded in 2004 to engage high school youth in generating and implementing visionary solutions for society. Since its humble beginning of just 6 students at The Athenian School, FLI has moved on to serve over 600 students who have completed more than 75,000 service learning hours. Over the years students have raised awareness and funds for numerous causes and organizations in areas such as Education, Economic Development, Arts, Environment, Health, Poverty, Animal Rights and Technology.
FLI is a 10-month program integrated into the school day which invites young people to discover their passions and to respond with action. The FLI Passion-to-Action™ curriculum and pedagogical approach is comprised of the most effective, research-based components of successful youth, education and service-learning programs. This curriculum has been developed over a decade of reflective practice and scholarly research in youth and leadership development, service-learning and education reform. FLI is a nimble organization that is aware of innovation and best practices in order to maximize upon each student’s ability and commitment to contribute in meaningful ways. In each of the 23 partner schools where the FLI program has been implemented, students have moved beyond the limitations of their current education and evolved as models of hope for their peers and those who helped guide them.
Through the FLI Program, each FLI participant:
* Articulates a personal dream or passion and
* Identifies three possible projects that offer to create significant community benefit
* Researches the feasibility and social return-on-investment of the potential projects
* Selects and initiates the project with maximum projected social impact
* Receives $200 to launch their FLI project
* Creates and manages a budget
* Identifies and interviews community leaders who have realized the FLI member?s dream
* Publicly presents his/her community impact and legacy at the Final Community Presentation