Roots and Wings International Overview
Target demographics: Indigenous youth in rural Guatemala whose household income is $2/day.
Direct beneficiaries per year: 500 (265 children in our computer and tutoring programs; 200 in our academic counseling programs; 35 in our scholarship program)
Someone who had 3 hours of volunteer time could: Help us spread the word through his/her network of contacts or social media. We have samples of short messages which the volunteer can help put up in his/her network. Even a simple mention of our website (rootsandwingsintl.org) goes a long way in helping us. Thank you!
Geographic areas served: Southwest Guatemala in the mountains of the Boca Costa region. Specifically the dozens of villages surrounding Pasac in Nahualá, Sololá, about 3 ½ hours from Guatemala City.
Programs: Computer Literacy for Kids, After-School Tutoring for Elementary Students, University Scholarship.
* After-School Tutoring Program: 250 sponsored. In need to help total of 600 elementary students graduate.
* Computer Literacy Program: 25 Computers for 600 children. Donor sponsorship in need to expand program.
* Academic counseling and career guidance for 250 youth per year
* Monthly development meetings by our university scholars to plan and resolve local development issues.
* Currently seeking funding of $1.5 million to construct a high school for the Boca Costa region.