PROMISE WORLDWIDE Overview
Geographic areas served: Kolkata, India
Highlights of projects
Atghara, Kolkata, India -- This was Promise's first project, and it grew to a community of 70 children from humble beginnings in 2001. Due to unavoidable circumstances, this project is on hold temporarily. We hope to resume it in the near future.
Nawabpur, Kolkata, India -- Here we provide nutrition and education to children living in an extremely poor rural area on the outskirts of Kolkata. Currently we have about 200 children, mostly very young.
Self Sustaining Project for Women -- This is our second project in Nawabpur where presently 120 women are involved in making a specific product - a hand-knitted dishcloth. This product is being marketed in the USA by an US marketing company.
Sustenance of existing projects
- Daily nutritious meals for the children.
- Hiring more qualified teachers for tutoring the children, most of whom are first generation school goers in the family. Need to hire teachers for Art and Music.
- Wages for the cooks, supervisors
- Books and school supplies for each child
- Medicine and health care for the children in case of any illness
Overview of the Needs
Building the Community Center
Currently the tutorial classes and all children related activities are held in a rented place. A community center owned by Promise Worldwide will allow a larger and much better environment. This center will be used in addition to the tutorial. For building this community center the expenses will include:
- Acquiring land
- Construction of the building
- Computer Training
- Vocational Training
As the organization grows both in the USA and in India administrators are to be hired. In addition the President of Promise needs to spend full or committed part time for Promise for which she needs to be compensated.
- To sustain the existing projects and grow the projects by bringing more children under the project.
- Build a community center building for the children to study.
- Hiring paid administrators both in USA and India for a more professional management.