Children & Youth, Education, Health
5275 Sunset Dr
According to national statistics, suicide is the leading cause of death among lesbian and gay adolescents.
Gay and lesbian youth account for:
- 33% of all teen suicides
- 25% of homeless/throwaways
- 50% are rejected by their parents
- 8% of all high school students were harassed because someone thought they were gay
- 5 times more likely to attempt suicide when harassed by someone who thought they were gay
- 93% of all students hear homophobic comments in school.
Project YES works to transform the environments where youth are present to begin to address the suicide, drug abuse and homelessness issues. We accomplish our mission through speaking engagements and sensitivity trainings conducted for schools, faculties, police departments, churches and synagogues, Florida PTA, hospitals and social service agencies across the country, out of which collaborative programs develop.