Dancers' Group Overview
Profile ( less )
Geographic areas served: San Francisco Bay Area
Programs: ARTIST DEVELOPMENT WORKSHOPS: Throughout the year, Dancers' Group presents development workshops in areas such as fundraising, publicity, video documentation and more.
BAY AREA NATIONAL DANCE WEEK: Now in its tenth year, this democratic program is comprised of a 10-day celebration of free public dance events in the Bay Area. Visit bayareandw.org for more information.
CALIFORNIA DANCE NETWORK: Through an interactive mix of resources including personal profiles, event listings, feeds of media coverage on dance, featured articles, and a map that offers a visual tool for understanding dance in California, the California Dance Network helps artists build connections, stay informed and be counted.
CA$H: A grant program of Theatre Bay Area in partnership with Dancers' Group, CA$H grants are designed to encourage risk-taking and innovation in the arts. Applications are available online at theatrebayarea.org.
DANCERS' GROUP PRESENTS: We have multiple co-presenting programs that allow the staff to curate local and national artists in full evening or multi-artist performance events. Programs and events include ONSITE, 2nd Sundays and the Dance Discourse Project.
FISCAL SPONSORSHIP PROGRAM: A program working to address the complex economic needs for a wide range of projects. Currently, this program supports over 90 artists and small companies.
IN DANCE: The Bay Area's only monthly publication dedicated to dance features, interviews with local and visiting artists, in depth articles, a calendar of Bay Area dance events and more.
INTERNSHIP AND WORK EXCHANGE PROGRAMS: Students in college or pre-professional dancers' are offered the opportunity for on-the-job experience in the field of performing arts.
LIGHTING ARTISTS IN DANCE: A grant program supporting Bay Area lighting designers working in new or creative partnerships with a choreographer, dance company or presenter.
MEMBERSHIP: Members receive In Dance delivered 1st class, weekly discounts to performances & workshops, local and national audition and job listings, access to the Bay Area Dance Directory, grants calendar and more.
NEW STAGES FOR DANCE GRANTt: Supports Bay Area dance artists through theater rental subsidies in an effort to significantly impact and expand their performance season. Part of a national initiative funded by MetLife.
PARACHUTE FUND: Provides emergency financial assistance to dance artists facing AIDS and other life-threatening illnesses. Applications are ongoing.
WEBSITE: Visit dancersgroup.org to learn more about all of the programs and services Dancers' Group provides, including local calendar listings, mailing lists and our dance article archive.
In response to the needs of its constituents, Dancers’ Group has evolved to fulfill a dual function as a service organization and as a presenter of performance opportunities that maximize the visibility of dance in the Bay Area.
• Over 650 members who rely on our benefits to keep them connected and informed;
• 104 local choreographers, companies, and community dance projects supported by our fiscal sponsorship program, which provides them with much needed administrative and financial oversight, as well as mentorship and other services;
• More than 2,000 readers of In Dance, who get in-depth information about specific artists and critical analysis of the field as a whole, as well as the calendar of upcoming events;
• Over 40 choreographers/directors who take advantage of our performance opportunities each year to develop their craft and audience base;
• More than 300,000 audience members in the ten-county Bay Area who attend performances by our member artists;
• Over 2,500 artists and dance supporters who are networked and kept informed about current community happenings through our community Ebulletin; and,
• The general public, who has access to dancersgroup.org and californiadancenetwork.org, and is able to take advantage of our online performance calendars, article archives, news and artist information.