Mission: The mission of Small Seeds Development Inc. is to support, strengthen, and sustain families to build strong and safe communities.
Results: • 80% of single mothers are able to balance job and care-giving responsibilities
• 80% of single mothers invest quality time with her children
• 80% of boys read at their grade level or above
• 70% of boys in grades 3 to 12 will not be suspended from school
• 70% of boys are able to do math at their grade level or higher
• 80% of boys participate in group mentoring
• 70% of boys practice normal social-emotional development
• 70% of boys practice dignity and respect
• 80% of children are nurtured, healthy, safe and realise their full potential
• 80% of our school and community interventions are safe, healthy, inclusive and supportive of children and their families
• 80% of families are strong, valued in their nurturing role, and capable of ensuring the safety and wellbeing of their children
• 70% of families understand the purpose of a budget and operate from it
• 70% of families open up a checking account
• 80% of participants demonstrate financial learning from pre and post test information
• 80% of teens receive guidance, support and encouragement
• 80% of teens engage in school and community activities
• 80% of teens learn how to address parent and teen conflicts
• 80% of teens graduate from high school
• 70% of teens enter college or post-secondary training
• 80% of families have positive parent-child interactions
• 70% of families have cohesion and a positive emotional climate
• 70% of families reduce the level of stress
• 70% of parents improve parental discipline practices
• 70% of parents reduce anger levels
• 70% of parents increase social network size and quality of contacts
• 70% of families develop an understanding of the human body and use this knowledge to maintain and improve wellbeing and health
• 70% of families learn to assess and manage risk, to protect self and others, and to reduce the potential for harm when possible
• 70% of families learn about different foods and eat healthier
• 65% of families engage in regular exercise
Target demographics: Children, single mothers, teens, families and young African American males.
Direct beneficiaries per year: Direct services were provided to over 1,430 families, 2,800 children, 510 teens, and 450 young adults.
Geographic areas served: Pittsburgh and Allegheny County
Programs: Mother to Son, Family and Community Teaming, Family Group Decision Making, Teen Discovery, Youth All Access and Black Emerging Adolescent Male.
Small Seeds makes a big difference! Over the last two years, I've seen many families valued and improved by the work, dedication and commitment of the staff and it's leadership. If there is a way to make a part of our local world better, Small Seeds is involved and making a difference. Investing in the youth and those who love them, I have personally witnessed the good work that has and continues to be done. A worthy organization to support!
As a Board member, I'm very impressed with the work that Small Seeds is doing in the community to work at prevention and self-reliance before it is too late to help children and families. Small Seeds has a strong and passionate CEO who cares about the community and the families.
I can honestly say that Small seeds is one of the best programs for our youth. I’m typically skeptical about receiving help because I’m so used to doing everything on my own. However I could not have made a better decision to enroll my Three Sons into the small seeds mother to sons program. Not for myself but for my children and their future. The mothers to sons program has given my boys mentorship, and emphasizes on responsibility and accountability. The staff is great, professional, and really good with the boys. I feel comfortable with my boys mentor and I get to connect with other awesome mothers around the city. Awesome program, staff, and mission!
Professional with expertise in this field
I work for Small Seeds. Small Seeds stands for nothing less than excellence. Staff go above and beyond to help the families they work with. Administration takes care to ensure that every dollar raised goes to programming as much as possible.
Professional with expertise in this field
I work at Small Seeds and am very happy to be a part of the work they are doing. Our mission is at the heart of our work and drives the programs that we offer the Pittsburgh Community. We strive to support, strengthen, and sustain families to build strong and safe communities. Our direct staff go out of their way to be helpful and supportive, whether it's part of their program or helping someone find another resource that would be the best fit. My coworkers go above and beyond to serve our community.
Our company has been extremely happy to sponsor some of the programs and events of this organization. We look at outcomes as a measure of success. Small Seeds Development has proven that they are results oriented. The sucess of their programs has enabled the community to be healthier and more independent. Their programs work.
Small Seeds is a great organization and I am a participant in their Mother to Son Program. I have learned about familiy development as it relates to better parenting, education and goal setting. Their staff care about empowering families and teaching us to reach higher regardless of the circumstances. We need more programs like Mother to Son.