Children & Youth,
Mission: To transform the lives of orphaned and impoverished children by providing hope and healing.
Results: Some of our recent accomplishments include:
* LWB opened another healing homes this year, in addition to the two provincial healing homes in Anhui province for medically fragile children. The Loving ARMs (Anal Rectal Malformation) Healing Home opened in September. Our healing homes provide medical care to fragile abandoned babies.
* We continue to pursue new opportunities for foster care. These programs served over 300 children in 2014. LWB has local managers on site in every foster care community who check on the progress of the children in their foster homes every month.
* LWB held another special education teacher training in June 2015, this year on site at its Believe in Me schools. All Believe In Me teachers and managers, as well as team members from partner organizations, were invited to attend. The on-site training allowed direct evaluation of the children and suggestions for accommodations to support and enhance learning.
* We provide educational assistance to orphaned and impoverished children in China. We continued our orphanage school programs in Jinjiang, Huainan, Changzhi, and Shaoguan and two new schools in Gansu. Our Believe in Me schools, located inside social welfare institutions in China, teach math, art, music, Chinese, English, and science through a Montessori based method. In 2015, we continued to include a nutritional component as well, providing a healthy daily snack to all the orphaned children in our schools, and a safe dental program (Lifetime of Smiles).
* LWB’s medical program continues to provide surgeries to babies abandoned with conditions such as cleft lip, spinal tumors, anal atresia, congenital heart defects, and more. The majority of our surgeries are performed at Fudan University in Shanghai and Anhui Children’s Hospital in Hefei. Our program for impoverished children provides heart surgeries, and we are expanding services in other locations across China. Additionally, our Cleft Initiative continues to bring educational materials and bottles to families of cleft-affected children throughout China by partnering with maternity hospitals. In the spring of 2015, LWB held a cleft medical exchange, a partnership between western and Chinese surgeons in pursuit of the development of best practices.
* Our nutrition program is helping to provide much needed formula, cereal and nutritious snacks to children of all ages in LWB programs. We help provide specialized baby formula to children with issues such as prematurity and milk allergies.
Target demographics: Orphaned and impoverished children
Direct beneficiaries per year: Hundreds of children through our programs located throughout mainland China.
Geographic areas served: China
Programs: LWB has four main focus areas: healing, education, foster care and nutrition.