Profile ( less )
Target demographics: address unmet social needs in areas where technology could provide great benefit but isn’t pursued because it won’t generate big profits.
Direct beneficiaries per year: over 250,000 people around the world
Someone who had 3 hours of volunteer time could: Help us grow and improve our Bookshare accessible library by scanning hard copies of books into a computer, proofreading scanned submissions for quality assurance, describing images in textbooks, or assisting with other collection development tasks.
Geographic areas served: Worldwide
Programs: 1. Human Rights: providing software, services and training that keep human rights defenders safe and have become critically important in larger efforts to pursue reform, seek justice and begin the process of reconciliation. See Martus.org.
2. Global Literacy: serving populations with unmet needs, such as people with disabilities, through technology-based literacy solutions, while also catalyzing systemic change so those tools are no longer needed tomorrow. Initiatives include Bookshare.org; DiagramCenter.org; BornAccessible.org; Route66Literacy.org.
3. Environment: providing conservationists with the tools they need to plan and manage their efforts to protect natural resources around the globe. See Miradi.org.
4. Benetech Labs: A space to explore new project ideas and to identify which of these potential technology solutions could successfully meet a pressing social need. See http://benetech.org/our-programs/benetech-labs/.
* Global Literacy: Bookshare.org is the world's largest accessible digital library for people with print disabilities with over 215,000 books. Bookshare currently serves more than 250,000 members and is rapidly increasing the number of schools and students who depend on the library for accessible books and periodicals. See more at: http://benetech.org/our-programs/literacy/impact-case-studies/.
* Miradi currently has thousands of users in over 170 countries. It’s technology that’s helping environmental practitioner teams achieve their conservation goals in real time. See more at: http://benetech.org/our-programs/environment/impact-case-studies/.