Maryland Affiliate of Susan G. Komen for the Cure Overview
Geographic areas served: Komen Maryland serves the entire state, except for PG and Montgomery County, which are under the Komen National Capital Area Office.
Programs: The programs grant funded by Komen Maryland provide:
- Free mammograms, clinical breast exams and diagnostic tests.
- Support programs and mentoring for patients and survivors.
- Meals, transportation, co-pay and financial assistance for women undergoing treatment.
- Outreach workers for ethnic minority communities.
- Case management and navigation services for those in treatment.
History - Nancy G. Brinker promised her dying sister, Susan G. Komen, she would do everything in her power to end breast cancer forever, and in 1982, that promise became Susan G. Komen for the Cure®. The Maryland Affiliate is part of the world’s largest and most progressive grassroots network fighting breast cancer. Through events like the Komen Maryland Race for the Cure®, Komen Maryland has invested $35 million in community breast cancer programs since 1993. Up to 75 percent of net proceeds generated by the Affiliate stays in Maryland. The remaining 25 percent funds national breast cancer research.