Little Helping Hands Overview
Programs: Through our website, families can view each month a wide variety of hands-on volunteer opportunities supporting numerous nonprofits/groups and sign up for them directly, making it simple for parents/caregivers and their children to experience the value and importance of community service together in a fun and positive learning environment.
Little Helping Hands will also work with local businesses to create or enhance employee community service programs with family volunteer opportunities and assist those looking for group volunteer opportunities within the Austin community.
- 644 volunteer activities organized ~ 35% more activities than in 2012
- 3,845 children and their parents/caregivers logged over 8,300 total volunteer hours last year serving over 50 organizations/groups.
Value to our community.
- Prepared and served meals to 3,800 people experiencing homelessness or hard times
- 2,300 hours assisting the homeless and working poor in Austin’s pantries, food bank, shelters, and other support services
- 2,280 hours as environmental stewards helping to keep Austin beautiful
- 1,440 pounds of dog food donated and prepared for the homeless and their pets
- 1,000 hours of companionship shared with the elderly and disabled
- 627 hours spent organizing, cleaning, and sorting educational/literacy materials
- 10% of contributions we receive are passed on to our partners as in-kind donations
Value to our children.
+ Improved understanding of the needs in our community
+ Empathy for others and respect for our environment
+ Development of new skills and a work ethic
+ Exposure to the value of team work
+ Self-realization that they can make a difference
Value to our families.
* Quality time together
* Strengthening communication
* Sharing of family values
* Starting a family tradition of volunteering