GREATER NEW HAVEN COMMUNITY CHORUS INC Overview
Profile ( less )
Target demographics: residents ages 16 and above from all nationalities. We are an open and welcoming organization.
Geographic areas served: Greater New Haven area includes New Haven and over 20 surrounding communities.
Programs: Part of GNHCC’s commitment toward enriching and educating the cultural community is its sponsorship of a Choral Conducting Assistant Scholarship. This scholarship program, now in its third full season, offers student conductors an opportunity to develop their skills through the real-world experience of working with a large, non-auditioned, volunteer chorus like GNHCC for a full concert season. He or she participates in all aspects of musical direction, is afforded extraordinary access to podium time, and benefits from the Artistic Director’s ongoing mentorship throughout the year. In addition to the practical aspects of leading the chorus in rehearsals and performances, the scholarship student receives direct guidance in rehearsal preparation, musical analysis, score study techniques, and the gestural language of conducting.
Founded in 1963 as a non-profit organization we:
• achieve the highest standard of choral music by a non-auditioned chorus open to everyone
• educate chorus members and audiences alike
• embrace the diversity of the community
• donate tickets and special performances to area non-profit organizations
1. Searched for, hired, and transitioned to a new Artistic Director, replacing the departing Artistic Director after his successful seven-year tenure.
2. Updated website with new design; transitioned to new Internet provider and began transitioning to a new, state-of-the art database management system.
3. Began soliciting grant monies for the commissioning of major choral works to celebrate the chorus’ 50th Anniversary season. As of the end of the first quarter of fiscal 2012-2013, GNHCC has been awarded grants totaling $3500 from Choral Arts New England and from The Community Foundation for Greater New Haven.
4. Developed a detailed 16-page “Singers’ Guide” outlining the function, procedures and culture of GNHCC.
Photos & VideoAre you the Nonprofit? Your photos and videos would look great here!
Support This Nonprofit
Promote This Nonprofit
Great Nonprofits badges allow you to raise awareness of your favorite organizations on your own web sites. for text link or graphic badge.Get badge