Environmental and Energy Study Institute (EESI)
Profile ( less )
Target demographics: EESI focuses on federal policymakers. EESI's wide-ranging participants and partnerships include state and local government, industry, labor, embassies, nonprofits, academia, the media, and the general public.
Direct beneficiaries per year: 15,000 in our network
Geographic areas served: Nationwide
EESI's goal is to be a catalyst for an energy revolution that moves us away from fossil fuels and towards a clean, safe and secure energy future. To accomplish this, EESI educates policymakers; and develops innovative policy solutions through coalition building, media outreach, publications, Congressional briefings, workshops and task forces. EESI brings the best science/ technology information, diverse perspectives and policy options that accomplish multiple goals into policy debates on environmental and energy issues.
Our top ten accomplishments in 2011 were:
1. Completed the installation phase of our pilot project on innovative financing for home energy retrofits in South Carolina.
2. Brought together climate and transportation experts to discuss adaptation planning.
3. Investigated and increased understanding of the role of bioenergy from a climate change mitigation perspective.
4. Highlighted the economic impacts of energy policy.
5. Provided comments to the Senate Energy and Natural Resources Committee on the proposed Clean Energy Standard.
6. Engaged with policymakers on the role of fossil fuel subsidies.
7. Highlighted China's path to a low-carbon economy.
8. Conceptualized a long-term strategy for moving our nation toward high-performance buildings.
9. Promoted Congressional understanding of complex transportation and vehicle standards in advance of the 2012 Transportation Bill.
10. Advanced awareness of the intersection between national security and climate change.