A Place Called Home Overview
Profile ( less )
Target demographics: Low income and underserved youth (8-20 years old) and families in South Central Los Angeles.
Direct beneficiaries per year: More than 1,000 youth
Someone who had 3 hours of volunteer time could: Assist students with homework, help nutrition staff prepare dinner for over 200 children or prepare for an upcoming event such as our Cinderella project or a Volunteer Day in our garden or painting, etc.
Geographic areas served: South Los Angeles
Our FREE programs offer outstanding enrichment services using proven models to increase youth performance and behaviors socially and academically. These programs include:
EDUCATIONAL SERVICES where we provide tutoring, literacy, math, science and a drop-out recovery program through LAUSD
HEALTH, NUTRITION AND WELL-BEING that offers nutritious meals and snacks, counseling and health resources
COMMUNITY & VOLUNTEER INITIATIVES to empower parents towards advocacy and recruiting volunteers to help with APCH's mission
CREATIVE EXPRESSION provides training in music, dance and fine arts;
RECREATION/ATHLETICS provides physical education and sports
BRIDGE TO THE FUTURE offers transitional opportunities for teens to enter into a healthy adulthood.
• 3,000 hours of free, comprehensive mental health counseling services for students and their families
• Computer training and access for homework. Most of our kids have no computer at home
• Over 3,000 nutritious meals are served every month to youth who live below the poverty line
• APCH offers college preparation and scholarships for students who once did not think college was a viable affordable option for them. The following are results from these programs:
• In 2010 over 60 youth received scholarships and many are the first in their families to attend college
• Bridge to the Future offers SAT, CAHSEE, GED preparation with a six-month College Prep course
• In the past year, more than 80 APCH youth attended tours of college campuses
• APCH members with long-time gang affiliations are now attending college
• 157 unduplicated APCH members, to date, have received Shaheen Scholarships for college
• 100% of APCH members receive support and opportunities for higher education