My Nonprofit Reviews

gdavid - charity reviews, charity ratings, best charities, best nonprofits, search nonprofits

gdavid

375 profile views
3 reviews

Review for Avivara, Seattle, WA, USA

Rating: 5 stars  

I serve on the Board of Avivara, and have since its inception. Over the years the organization has stayed true to its mission, and has proven its ability to alter lives in rural Guatemala through the possibilities of education. In the face of growth and success, Avivara remains remarkably efficient at utilizing contributions to achieve its aims; administration and fund raising costs are very low. By keeping in close contact with its scholarship recipients, for example, Avivara is able to provide encouragement and guidance to those individuals. This support helps to ensure the effective use of resources. The organization has supported a number of individuals into and through their university education - this would have been a nearly impossible goal for these individuals. Avivara changes lives, one at a time, through education.

Role:  Board Member
 

Review for Avivara, Seattle, WA, USA

Rating: 5 stars  

I have been involved with Avivara since its founding. On a trip to Guatemala in 2007, just before Avivara was born, I met a young man at a school in a remote village. At that point he was about 14 years. As one child of many in a large family, he was expected to leave school at this age (or even sooner) to work in the fields to provide income for the family. But his obvious talent and love of learning had kept him in school longer than his siblings. This young man was one of Avivara's first scholarship recipients. Avivara supported him throughout his high school education, and then continued its support on into his university years. Soon to graduate with a degree in accounting, the astonishing success of this young man was only possible with the support of Avivara. Not only did Avivara provide the monetary support that allowed him to continue his education, but the organization met with him and his parents on a regular basis to ensure that he had the kind of global support needed for this radical departure from the life of field workers in Guatemala.
It is this actualization of possibility that gives Avivara a unique level of effectiveness. Lives are changed. With continued educational and personal transformations as these, the future of Guatemala will eventually be changed.

Role:  Board Member
 

Review for Avivara, Seattle, WA, USA

Rating: 5 stars  

I've been involved with Avivara since its inception. I've known Ann and Gary for many years, and met Gustavo during a visit to Guatemala in 2007. It seemed entirely natural that the three of them, with their combination of skills and ideals, would come up with the germ of the idea that would become Avivara. These three individuals are all remarkable educators. Their unique ability to work within the cultural context of the Guatemalan highlands makes Avivara effective to an extraordinary degree. Potential donors should know how efficiently donated funds are used; only 11% of donated monies go to administrative and fund raising expenses. The remaining 89% goes directly to programs. A careful review of the Avivara website will reveal, for an interested individual, the nature of the well crafted programs. Suffice it to say that the programs provide meaningful opportunities for a wide age range of students. Donors are kept well informed by monthly newsletters. Indeed, this is a remarkable organization!

I've personally experienced the results of this organization in...

Knowing how many schools receive support, how many students receive scholarships, how education can change lives.

What I've enjoyed the most about my experience with this nonprofit is...

The consistent hard work, very hard work, on the part of the three people "on the ground" in Guatemala.

The kinds of staff and volunteers that I met were...

All deeply committed, and always thoughtfully looking for ways to advance education in the highlands of central Guatemala.

If this organization had 10 million bucks, it could...

Change the course of Guatemalan history.

How frequently have you been involved with the organization?

About every week

When was your last experience with this nonprofit?

2010

Role:  Board Member & Participate in governance, raise funds.