My Nonprofit Reviews
Review for Virginia Housing and Community Development Corporation, Suffolk, VA, USA
Sorry VHCDC for taking so long to respond, these past 2 weeks were entirely busy. I appreciate you giving me this opportunity to write this review and hopefully, the feedback will help assist you in improving this wonderful and educational program.
I lived in Central Virginia and had been a client of this program for the past year and a half. I am part of Central Virginia Small Business Investment Partnership and on their leadership team. Mr. James Taylor is/was our mentor and training coordinator. We received the required training, follow-up, and support from Mr. Taylor. We have had many meetings and check and balances to this program, and its learning phrases, however, there are a few areas of concerns that I hope would be addressed during this review.
1. Training... even though, the training we received was right on track and we understood, what was needed, talking to some of our members/partners, the area that was really needed, did not occur in this training, online training and demonstration. This was the area needed to understand, researched, and get most of our information. I feel that a couple of classes in this area would had help those individuals who may had been new or limited to investment with online information gathering.
2. Couples, i. e. husband/wife team. It is my understanding, if a couple get involved with the program, it is on an individual basics. They must contribute separate individual funding to be part of this investment. Example, to become a partner, each of them must paid fees and contribution each month to the investment club, therefore, if the contribution and/or fees are $50.00 per partner, this is a $100.00 per month from this family budget. Anyway, can we looked at this issue and maybe, we can change or reduce this funding issue? Or come up with some idea of family reduction contribution to this requirement???
3. There is/was a misunderstanding of prospective members/ partners attending regular meetings, who had not attend VHCDC presentations. To me,this is key to the success to membership because it covers what this program is and what is its objective(s). If potential members/partners, who had no exposure to the presentation and/or knowledge to the program, it is a disadvantage to them and to the investment clubs and our teaching and learning points at the meetings which may not covered those areas needed that the presentation does covered. It is my suggestion, any potential member/partner will be required to attend your VHCDC presentation prior to attending investment clubs meetings.
4. It appears that there is a disconnect on invitations. We should re-evaluate this part of the program. There had been so many no shows.
5. Could we also re-evaluate meeting at public meeting locations, there is no privacy.
6. I know that the program is designed for long- term opportunity and benefits, however, I was wondering we could designed a short-term program? From my observation, many potential members are looking for faster results in their investment opportunities. Could we have both?
Again, I appreciate the opportunity given to share my thoughts and/or suggestions. I hope that the above feedback and recommendations will help improve this program and move it forward.
Thomas House Jr.
If I had to make changes to this organization, I would...
1. Invitation attendees 2. Family funding 3. More training... computer 4. More privacy 5. long and short-term investments
How would you describe the help you got from this organization?
How likely are you to recommend this organization to a friend?
How do you feel you were treated by this organization?
When was your last experience with this nonprofit?