Mission: Women’s eNews is an award-winning nonprofit news service covering issues of particular concern to women and creating significant social impact through its work and collaborations:
The competitive advantage of Women’s eNews lies in its unique combination of three functions:
1. Serious Reporting: Women’s eNews conducts high quality journalism on serious issues that are of particular concern to women.
2. Original Coverage of Under reported Issues: Women’s eNews publishes original reporting on issues ignored by other media. Women’s eNews articles are frequently reprinted by other news outlets and feminist blogs and websites, and often catalyze social action and additional reporting by other organizations.
3. Global Scope: Women’s eNews reports on issues affecting women in the United States and around the world, and its Arabic site is aimed specifically at women in the Middle East. Women’s eNews also hires freelancer reporters from across the globe and provides them high quality editing so that they may clearly, concisely and fairly tell the stories from the perspective of those living the issues.
Results: Women’s eNews has undoubtedly had a significant social impact, directly and indirectly affecting the lives of millions of people by providing coverage of important issues largely ignored by conventional media. At a more nuanced level, the organization currently creates impact in the following ways:
• Women’s eNews helps set the news agenda for conventional media;
• Women’s eNews impacts opinion leaders and policymakers;
• Women’s eNews is a resource and catalyst for rights organizations and activists;
• Women’s eNews uncovers injustices, draws attention to issues, disseminates information, and empowers readers;
• Women’s eNews helps foster, train, and support the career development of new journalists with a focus on social justice and women’s rights;
• Women’s eNews raises the profiles and supports the leadership development of its 21 Leaders for the 21st Century.
Target demographics: put women in the headlines and the bylines of news media
Geographic areas served: nearly every country across the globe
Programs: Black Maternal Health, a long running investigative series exploring the health disparities that exists for Black moms in America; Women and Poverty, a long running investigative series bringing life-bias for women economically to light; Arabic Women's eNews, an Arabic language sister site providing news and commentary for Arabic speaking women and 21 Leaders for the 21st Century, an annual leadership gala and program to support and celebrate those investing in women and girls.
I work with undocumented immigrants all day long, especially women whose husbands have been deported. One raises six children alone. She was beaten by a her brother, the same one who beat her sister. They formed a "commune" -- my congregation was able to help. Sometimes I get very, very down. There are too many women in too much trouble. Reading Women's ENews keeps me connected to the trouble -- and our collective hope.
Professional with expertise in this field
Women's ENews is a vital source of information for me and for my community of gender experts. I work on gender and sustainable development and use the network to keep myself upto date with their excellent daily bulletins on all issues topical. I often share some of the information with colleagues and friends to keep us all updated on international news regarding women, their successes and challenges
As a columnist-activist, I have found womensenews reports extremely interesting as well as informative, and have benefited from being on their listserv.I have mentioned wemensenwes during my presentations on and off campus, and in writing my papers for various feminist conferences worldwide. I have been receiving their reports for at least four years, regularly.
Professional with expertise in this field
I've been reading Women's Enews since it first began and it is truly the best source for non-mainstream news reporting on women, both within the US and globally.
I've also attended the organization's 21 Leaders for the 21st Century awards dinner twice including this past May. Women's Enews provides invaluable recognition for women (and men) serving local and global communities. There is not another organization doing quite what they do to unite and empower women.