Our vision is that every community in the United States has engaged its collective creativity to unleash an extraordinary and historic transition to a future beyond fossil fuels; a future that is more vibrant, abundant and resilient; one that is ultimately preferable to the present.
Transition US is a resource and catalyst for building resilient communities across the United States that are able to withstand severe energy, climate or economic shocks while creating a better quality of life in the process. We will accomplish our mission by inspiring, encouraging, supporting, networking and training individuals and their communities as they consider, adopt, adapt, and implement the Transition approach to community empowerment and change.
The Transition approach is based on four key assumptions:
1. That life with dramatically lower energy consumption is inevitable, and that it’s better to plan for it than to be taken by surprise.
2. That our communities currently lack resilience.
3. That we have to act collectively, and we have to act now to build community resilience and prepare for life without fossil fuels.
4. That by unleashing the collective genius of our communities it is possible to design new ways of living that are more nourishing, fulfilling and ecologically sustainable.
Geographic areas served: US primarily
Programs: Strategic Action Goals
1. To raise awareness of the need to work together to build resilience in the face of fossil fuel depletion, climate change and economic crises.
2. To support the emergence and growth of Transition Initiatives and leaders in all regions of the United States.
3. To mirror the diversity of the United States in Transition Initiatives by supporting Initiatives’ efforts to include all major cultural and demographic segments of their local communities.
4. To support the continued development and delivery of high quality education, training and consulting in support of the advancement of the Transition Movement in the United States.
5. To achieve financial sustainability for Transition US and Transition Initiatives in the United States.
I found Transition US to be a dedicated and intelligent group of individuals who were patient and instructive in helping our group get organized. I have attended several webinars hosted by TransitionUS and found them to be enlightening in the way they taught issues and concepts on the varied topics they presented. The TransitionUS website is also a goldmine of information both of resources and individual stories of other groups' experiences which are useful for networking new groups starting out. All my interactions with the people at Transition US have been friendly, positive experiences, resulting in practical solutions to any problem.
The worldwide Transition Town movement is making vital contributions to empowering local communities to turn toward sustainable lifestyles and re-localize essential human needs.
For over a year, I've been working with the steering committee of Transition Town Ashland (Oregon). I've come to value and admire the outstanding work Transition US. They gather and share information from Transition Initiatives all across the country and the world, including solutions to problems and best practices. They publish a valuable monthly online newsletter. They produce and host excellent Webinars. And that is just a partial listing of their services.
Transition US is a very high-quality operation, doing crucially important work.
I have learned so much about the Transition Movement and the steps involved in getting a Transition Initiative off the ground. The webinars are excellent as are the various resources they have on their website.