Mission: Building prosperity in vulnerable global communities.
Results: Thriive impacts global communities in 3 ways:
1) with charitable donations of job training, products, and services by Thriive businesses to vulnerable community members;
2) by helping small businesses to create new jobs, providing the best way out of poverty; and
3) by creating a culture of business-led community charity.
In 2013-2014, 137 small businesses in the Thriive family across our 5 global programs served over 66,000 of the most vulnerable in their communities with donations of job training, products, and services; created 874 new full and part-time jobs, and saw over 72% of fully repaid Thriive businesses voluntarily continue with community charity.
Target demographics: build prosperity in vulnerable global communities.
Direct beneficiaries per year: 137 Thriive small businesses created nearly 900 jobs and donated job training and products to over 66,000 impoverished individuals.
Geographic areas served: Vietnam, Kenya, Palestine, Nicaragua, and Guatemala
Programs: At Thriive we inspire a culture of giving in challenged developing world communities and offer a sustainable way out of poverty by helping small businesses to create new jobs. As we help small businesses grow with needed capital, they pay forward this assistance by donating an equivalent value of products, services, and job training to the most vulnerable in their communities, helping make them more resilient and self-reliant.
Having had the opportunity to follow the development of Thriives concept for many years, what impresses the most is:
- the successful application of the model in new places, proving that the concept is universal
- the solid follow up including what is happening with the businesses supported after the "pay back" period
- the development of a culture to improve, move forward
I have been on the Board of Thriive since 2010. I joined the Board because I completely believe in the mission of the organization. As an international organization, Thriive does not dictate to the implementing organizations to do what the organization thinks should be done, rather, it empowers the implementing partners to be the leader as they have the contextual knowledge and understanding of reality on the ground. The Board is proactive and very engaged in the work of Thriive around the world. It’s a real pleasure to serve on the Board of Thriive and I look forward to the time when Thriive’s work is adopted as a model on how to best invigorate small businesses around the world.