Mission: NETWORK—a Catholic leader in the global movement for justice and peace—educates, organizes and lobbies for economic and social transformation.
Results: NETWORK has played a big role in:
• Healthcare reform
• Extensions on unemployment benefits
• Protection of safety net programs in the various budget deals
• An economic stimulus through reduction of payroll taxes
• Increase in the debt ceiling
• The end of military action in Iraq and cutting the defense department budget
• Administration expansion of the use of prosecutorial discretion to prevent deportation of people who have been contributing members of their community
• And preventing E-verify from coming to the House floor for a vote.
Programs: The organization is dedicated to lobbying and organizing for socially just legislation, educating about legislative issues, and developing a value-based vision of justice and peace. The organization has advocated for socially just legislation on a range of issues, with a primary focus on u. S. Policies that affect those who are poor.
Professional with expertise in this field
I was a member of the Sisters of the Immaculate Heart in Los Angeles when they became the first community in the history of the Catholic have their cononical status taken away by the Pope Paul VI. It was painful but we prevailed. The community still exists as an ecumenical community, The Immaculate Heart Community accepting men and women, straight and gay, single or married. I am so proud of the thousands of nuns who are challenging the misogynist practices of the Catholic Patriarchy. I have no doubt that Jesus would not recognize this Church that claims to speak for God on earth. Thank you sisters for keeping the fire of love and the example of Jesus alive in the world today.