Mission: Our mission is to engage children in volunteerism and empower them to make a difference in their communities.
Results: 2015 Community Impact:
• 851 volunteer activities organized
• 4,981 kids and their parents/caregivers logged 11,270 volunteer hours serving 77 nonprofit agencies/groups
Value to our community:
• 2,038 volunteer hours cleaning and beautifying Austin parks & green spaces
• 1,015 families assisted those in difficult circumstances by helping to get food on their tables
• 687 kids & their families spent 1,637 hours supporting seniors with smiles & shared experiences
• 72 activities benefited animals/pets by providing food, handmade toys, and items supporting adoption efforts
• 876 volunteer children helped other kids and families by preparing/assembling donated items such as books, diapers, warm coats, backpacks, and daily essentials
• 235 volunteer hours were spent working for health-related causes through event support
Value to kids:
• Understanding community needs
• Empathy for others & respect for our environment
• Development of new skills and work ethic
• Exposure to the value of team work
• Self-realization that they can make a difference
Value to families:
• Quality time together
• Strengthening communication
• Sharing of family values
• Starting a family tradition of volunteering
Direct beneficiaries per year: Last year, we directly helped over 70 nonprofit organizations by organizing 851 volunteer activities. We brought 4,981 children and their parents/caregivers into the community to contribute 11,270 total volunteer hours.
Geographic areas served: Austin, TX
Programs: Family Volunteering: Through our website, families can view each month a wide variety of hands-on service opportunities supporting numerous nonprofits/groups and sign up for them directly, making it simple for parents/caregivers and their children to experience the value and importance of community service together in a fun and positive learning environment.
Youth Leadership Programs: For older kids and teens, we offer educational and leadership programs that enhance the learning that comes through our service experiences.
I support this nonprofit as a donor because it provides families the opportunity to introduce their children to volunteerism at a young age. I wish i had had access to an organization like this when my children were toddlers and young people. LHH is run in a smart efficient way using the internet and Facebook to organize and promote its activities and to inform its supporters of the results of contributions by young people and their families. This nonprofit deserves to be listed on the Top-Rated Nonprofits List.
It is surprisingly difficult to find volunteer opportunities for families with young children - this non-profit provides an invaluable service by pairing families with service projects in which children are active participants. Not only does this benefit the immediate recipients of the services, it helps strengthen families and creates a new generation of community-minded individuals who care about those around them. As a donor and a volunteer, I feel fortunate to have found Little Helping Hands because it has provided my family a way to bond with eachother and the Austin community.