Mission: The mission of the Home Builders Care Foundation (HBCF) is to give back by utilizing the skills and resources of building industry members on shelter-related construction for the homeless and others at-risk.
Our efforts help community non-profits and local governments meet the challenges of caring for our neighbors in need.
We leverage our industry’s strengths to save agencies thousands of dollars in the construction process.
Results: Since our inception in 1984, HBCF has:
* Contributed more than $20,000,000 worth of materials and labor to supportive housing and shelter projects in Maryland and the District. The total value of our projects is estimated to be more than double that amount.
* Delivered more than 1,500 beds and units of respectable shelter and housing for our most vulnerable citizens. These units serve thousands in need on an annual basis.
* Collaborated with over 90 local nonprofits on projects.
* Averaged a rate of 87% of our total expenses going directly to program services
Target demographics: build housing for the homeless and families in crisis
Direct beneficiaries per year: house 76 persons in crisis
Geographic areas served: Maryland
Programs: Our work empowers these agencies to focus resources on direct client services that lead to stability. Nearly all of our partnering agencies receive funding for program operations, but maintenance and improvement funds are harder to come by. We help make projects feasible.
* We have transformed once-abandoned apartments and single family homes to develop new units of housing for families seeking housing stability.
* We have built new shelters for the homeless, including the 135-bed Home Builders Care Assessment Center in Montgomery County.
* We have made safe and comfortable scores of group homes and transitional housing facilities by making energy-efficient and accessible improvements.
Home Builders Care Foundation takes great pride in working with local governments and non-profits to provide shelter to disadvantaged people in need. As a volunteer, I can attest to the effort that goes in to picking projects and following them through to completion -- always keeping in mind the tremendous need for beds and shelter. We call on the building industry to donate materials, labor and most importantly their time. The dollars that the organization raises are stretched many times over by the generosity of others.