FEGS is a FRAUD and is the ENRON of NON-PROFITS. Federation Employment Guidance Services used to be an excellent organization that served the Jewish community in NYC by providing training and guidance in getting immigrants integrated into all aspects of American life. They had mentoring, training, provided guidance, internships, work-study programs, apprenticeships and almost everything needed to achieve social and economic self-sufficiency. However since the early 70's FEGS started to abandon this unique comprehensive delivery model that made people INDEPENDENT and flourish as human beings. Actually FEGS does the opposite of what its current mission statement claims. FEGS does little if any training and guidance and actually is designed to make people become DEPENDENT on government programs. FEGS now acts as a referral service that gets people on government "benefits" so that FEGS can BILL Medicare and Medicaid. FEGS is very efficient in NYC for taking New Yorkers who were on city and state government programs and switching them to Federal government programs. So FEGS is funded by tax payer money and then refers New Yorkers to government tax payer programs and bills tax payers for that service. Make sense? For the FEGS employee it does since some 5,000 employees make over $50,000 + a year plus lots of benefits. It is a JOB PROGRAM for the people who work at FEGS: never mind that they don't help people become INDEPENDENT and just manage caseloads.
In 2007 an independent non-profit group analyzed Welfare to Work vendors like FEGS and found that few if any clients were able to gain employment despite paying vendors like FEGS hundreds of millions dollars over the years.
Just read the report: http://www.cvhaction.org/sites/default/files/Missing%20the%20Mark%20-%20Executive%20Summary.pdf
FEGS is very good at public relations -that is marketing, promoting and advertising itself with its sleek and flashy website but don't be fooled because FEGS employs at least two dozen employees to promote FEGS in every type of media possible. Ignore FEGS propaganda and just go to any FEGS office, stay outside and ask people coming in and out of their office buildings whether they help people to become INDEPENDENT. You will find that for clients of FEGS it is an bitter roller coaster of musical chairs.
FEGS's target is the mentally ill (MI), developmentally challenged, and elderly and infirm. These people need government programs, effective treatment and supervision. As far as the mentally ill is concerned I wonder how many FEGS MI patients are able to achieve independence by remission or improvement in their condition? FEGS's is model is no different than other non-profits that serve the MI which is complex poly-pharmacy of psychotropic medications with an assigned case manager with a less than 2% chance on getting of disability and entering the world. 98% of people on disability stay on it for a lifetime which means becoming a life long client of FEGS so they bill bill and bill without regard to outcome. Poor outcomes in a way is good for FEGS since once a client always a client of FEGS. So who cares if FEGS's MI "consumers" of services get better just bill bill and bill.
Considering that FEGS does so poorly at achieving its mission statement of making people self-sufficient and independent, it executives make great money: the CEO makes a cool $650K, and the other big shots make between $200K and $400k a year. Shocking since almost all their clients have ZERO income. FEGS forgot its mission and its core values and has for profit companies like HR dynamics and All Sector Technology Group which brings in millions of dollars a year. FEGS has OFF SHORE Bank accounts in Europe and the Caribbean. And All Sector's market is a multi-billion dollar one for cloud computing and cyber security with 5% of its shares owned by FEGS insiders. So are all those profits from the FEGS's for profit companies being funneled through off shore bank accounts?
Don't believe what FEGS says and look at all the other reviews for FEGS on guidestar- nearly ALL of them have been written by FEGS's previous or current employees. How dishonest is that. FEGS DOES NOT HELP PEOPLE BECOME SELF-SUFFICIENT OR INDEPENDENT quite the opposite and it does not have high quality and cost efficient services nor does it have any special comprehensive delivery service model. They help people get on government programs for life so they can bill medicaid, medicare and get contracts like the welfare to work ones. Who cares if their "clients" get anywhere or go nowhere.
I am an intern at FEGS and am having an amazing learning experience. The staff is supportive and really works as a team to help clients as efficiently as possible.
I have been involved with FEGS for three years. I am always impressed by how they deal with their volunteers.... You are always told how much you are appreciated and given the proper amount of back up for the job you are doing for them. My only criticism is that they are a little too bureaucratic.....you have to go through too many layers to get a decision about anything. Too much red tape for a non profit org.
The competent and dedicated staff at F.E.G.S. provide a variety of services for individuals with all kinds of disadvantages. These services are easily accessible for consumers through the organization's various branches in the Greater New York area. In my experience, F.E.G.S. adheres to high work ethics and discipline, thus it is a great atmosphere to volunteer or work in. It is also dedicated to train student interns and strives to make the internship a valuable learning experience for them.
Coming from the profit world I became an employee of FEGS 15 years ago. As a member of the management team I have had the opportunity to observe the wonderful services FEGS provides. Not to simplify but if i was asked to briefly describe what FEGS provides I would say that they "help people in need". In good times and bad they are there to serve. FEGS truly exemplifies a Health and Human Services organization. Be it health concerns, job training & assistance, counseling or assisting the challanged population, FEGS has a program available to assist. On a personal level the same assistance is there for employees in time of need. FEGS has become a huge organziation that has not forgoten its core values and goals, to assist people.
I have been involved in the FEGS "Suited for Work" program. We have provided appropriate interview outfits for a number of people who are trying to enter or reenter the job market. The look on their face when they are able to go home with a wonderful outfit, and the way they stand taller and prouder when wearing the cloths is amazing. The program is great and it is so rewarding
The "Suited for Work" program provides much needed support for the clients seeking employment. It is most gratifying to be able to "outfit" men and women and witness the change in attitude that comes with looking good.
As a newly hired AmeriCorps VISTA volunteer, I seem to be continually amazed at all of the absolutely amazing programs and people within the greater FEGS Health and Human Services system. The number and diversity of people that FEGS helps is truly astounding and I am proud to be part of the team here at FEGS!
FEGS has been so helpful. I am only a student intern, but I feel respected by all of the employees at FEGS. I know that they appreciate the work that I do and I have gained wonderful experience in these few short months.
FEGS is one of the most an innovative and creative non-profit agencies I have every encountered. They treat all of their clients with tremendous respect and dignity.
FEGS has a substantial impact on social services in Israel, on Rehabilitation, Welfare to Work , Programs for Disabled etc. Almost every senior professional as well as Welfare and Labor Ministers of Israeli Government visited FEGS and brought something new to implement here. FEGS innovations never stop! Bracha Ben-Zvi, director, National Insurance Institute Israel (retired) Chairwoman, council of Social-Work in Israel (until 2004)
The name FEGS does not really define clearly the tremendous value to the clients that we serve.The employees who "represent" the FEGS organization are truly the "ambassadors" to the mission. As an employee based at the "headquarters" of FEGS I have "roamed" the 7 floors occupied. Each and every floor you see dedicated employees really reaching out and assiting all the clients who need the services immediately. I have spoken to some of the clients myself and they all are consistent in their answers. They tell me "Gee without FEGS what would I do?" There is a never ending need to have a presence in the NYC market and to "be there now" as FEGS was back in 1934. The clients personality and culture might of changed over 75 years but the mission has always remained the same from FEGS. Help those less fortunate than others and to make them feel there is hope. That there is an end to "their personal crisis" and suffering. That there is a helping hand ready to serve them each and everyday of their challenging lively hood. I am proud to say just my little part in this maze of assistance we, FEGS, do make a difference. A difference whether those clients will live or die. Survive in a world so challenging for each of them that we are their "safety net". We are there "guardian angel". We are FEGS.