Arts & Culture,
Elementary & Secondary Schools,
Mission: Education Through Music, Inc. (ETM) makes music education a reality for thousands of children who would otherwise have limited or no exposure to the arts. ETM partners with schools that lack sufficient funding for school-wide music programs, and ETM ensures that every student enrolled in these schools receives weekly music instruction.
Since 1991, ETM has harnessed the power of music to enhance the academic performance and general development of its students. Our work provides these children with the skills to become better learners and the confidence to live in an increasingly challenging world.
Results: Findings indicate that students in schools that receive ETM perform better academically than students in schools with similar demographics that do not receive ETM. Students’ participation in ETM music class and school concerts contributes to creativity as well as to social and emotional capacities. The program encourages motivation for school in general. Previous findings include:
• ETM supports students’ social and emotional development. All surveyed classroom teachers believe the ETM program positively impacts students’ attitude, creativity, effort, self-esteem, and cooperation with their peers.
• ETM positively impacts students’ academic achievement: 84% of ETM students reported on surveys that music class improved their focus; 76% of middle school students said that music class increased their desire to go to school; upwards of 96% of classroom teachers believed ETM has enhanced students’ math, literacy, and critical thinking skills.
• Students in longtime ETM partner schools earned higher scores on the New York State Math and English Language Arts assessments compared to students in peer schools (schools serving similar demographic populations).
• Special need students in longtime partner schools earned higher Math scores than their peers in non-ETM schools.
• The ETM program promoted stronger relationships between schools and parents and supported community engagement; 64% of ETM parents reported that they have been more involved in the school community since their children started ETM.
• Partner school leadership highly rated the overall program: 97% of principals and 98% of classroom teachers evaluated the ETM program positively.
Reports are available at ETMonline.org/evaluation.
Target demographics: low-income children in grades Pre-K through 8th grade
Direct beneficiaries per year: 27,000 kids
Geographic areas served: New York City
Programs: In 2016-17, ETM's partner school program provided music education to an estimated 27,000 economically disadvantaged students in 46 schools in NYC who would who would otherwise have limited or no arts exposure.
ETM provides music as a core subject to every student. We hire music teachers; we train these teachers so they can be eligible to be hired by schools as part of a long-term plan for sustaining programs. We conduct outreach to classroom teachers and parents to build understanding and advocacy for music education.
By providing quality music education to 27,000 students and building support within school communities, our programs: provide students with musical skills and knowledge; support growth in students' self-confidence and self-esteem; support improved achievement in other academic areas; support community involvement; and increase the capacity of partner schools to sustain music programs on their own so that the benefits of music education can continue beyond the life of ETM.
ETM is a phenomenal organization! What a wonderful service they provide for inner city and underprivileged children in NYC. Everyone in the organization, from the on-site teachers and educators, to the off-site staff and administrators go above and beyond to help children every day. The organization does a fantastic job of tracking the impact of their services on the children, so you always know the services are having an impact. I cannot wait to continue to work with this truly life-changing organization!!