Specifically Named Diseases Research
Mission: Realizing that much of the current attention is focused on more widely known diseases, Multiple System Atrophy is overlooked. MSA patients are confronted with a dim prognosis and left with few options.
The purpose of Defeat MSA is to receive and administer funds:
To develop effective treatments to combat the debilitating effects of MSA.
To foster promising research in an effort to slow the progress of MSA.
To nurture collaborative studies into the underlying causes of MSA.
To raise awareness and promote understanding about living with MSA.
Defeat MSA aims to increase AWARENESS, help ALLEVIATE disease symptoms and ADVANCE research toward the cure for MSA!
Results: 1) Led fundraising for first full-length feature documentary film about a world champion athlete with Multiple System Atrophy.
2) Sole sponsor of the MSA patient loaner closet for durable medical equipment.
3) Sponsor 2 of the only 3 MSA patient support groups in North America.
4) Sole sponsor of the MSA Shoe, a tool to raise awareness about MSA (www.MSAshoe.org)
5) Participating charity in the Global MSA Research Roadmap
6) Led two successful campaigns to declare March as MSA awareness month on the state level.
7) Participating charity in 3 national and international neurological and rare disease conferences.
Target demographics: people suffering from Multiple System Atrophy.
Direct beneficiaries per year: Many families affected by Multiple System Atrophy throughout the world ...
Geographic areas served: Michigan, United States, International
Programs: 2 Support groups, MSA Durable Medical Equipment Loaner Closet, National Billboard Awareness Campaign, funded research, sponsored two film documentaries
Defeat MSA is a very suppportive organization that helps in many ways. Our life has been taken over by this horrible and mostly unknown disease. So, as part of our MSA journey, we contacted Defeat MSA to become an MSA shoe Awareness Ambassador. We travelled Eastern Canada with the MSA shoe creating awareness and making memories!
We feel stronger as a family, by helping in our small way.
We can't find a cure for a disease, that no one knows about. First step is awareness, second step is a cure!
Thank you Defeat MSA for guiding us, supporting us, and allowing us the honour to carry the MSA shoe on our journey.
Steve and Beth Foster