My son has benefited greatly from his experience working with the leadership of YCN. They are a positive force in the community and Kansas City in general for all youth. They encourage teens to use their gifts and talents in a positive way and to make a difference in their
Mission: Our mission is to utilize the arts to cultivate and develop self-empowerment, community service, higher education, and self-expression within adolescents aged 11-18.
Results: In September 2009, we piloted an after school program in Kansas City, Kansas. With school support and volunteers we were able to build a great curriculum, bring in guest speakers, and transport students to various cultural events throughout the city.
1. Since our program is unique and innovative, many organizations are requesting our services as an added feature for their youth. We’ve gained a partnership with the local organizations and churches to assist with our monthly KC Teen Mic Nights.
2. We are a volunteer ran program. Our volunteers have invested over 3,000 hours to the after school program which includes preparing lesson plans, being a mentor to students, seeking out resources and support.
• 2015, founder, received an award from the African American Affairs Commission dedicated service to Project Unity initiatives, to youth and to the community
• Art Kansas City Fund Catalyst Grant recipient
• November 2015, founder received a Business Appreciation Award from The U Church
• Developed partnership with S.I.D.E ( Socialization Interdependent, Development, Empowerment) organization that provided us with resources, supplies, and equipment for After School Program and KC Teen Mic.
• June 2015, KC Teen Mic Team radio appearance on 95.3 KCPZ
1. Develop and adopt a new creative arts curriculum for the after school program
2. Increase our teen participation and attendance by 50%
3. Develop a marketing and branding plan to produce quality programming for the organization.
4. Build a sustainable volunteer recruitment program
5. Develop workshops centered around artist development and social change issues for teens.
Target demographics: Creative Corner (6th-8th graders)Teen Mic Night ( 7th-12th graders)
Direct beneficiaries per year: Over 125 young people and families
Geographic areas served: Kansas City, Kansas
Programs: KC Teen Mic Nights ( Open Mic)
After School Programming
My son has benefited greatly from his experience working with the leadership of YCN. They are a positive force in the community and Kansas City in general for all youth. They encourage teens to use their gifts and talents in a positive way and to make a difference in their own lives and community. I appreciate their faithfulness and commitment to our city and it's youth. My son looks forward to attending and meeting with the leaders and other youth to learn from one another and encourage each other too. I would highly recommend YCN!
Professional with expertise in this field
Youth City Network has been creating events for my students to be able to express their spoken word and songs for 3 years. Recently, I been able to take students to the 3rd Thursday Open Mic events, and my students love it. hopefully, more students will be able to come out and experience this great opportunity.
Ive been volunteering for YCN for the last two going on three years. ive really enjoyed helping out. you don't find to many people now days that want to help out teens for free. its usually some kind of catch to it but with YCN its not, this is just a place where teenagers can go to get something off their chest, talk about important topic's and show their talents. In the last two years ive done a talent show, help promote and went to many open mic events. this experience was very helpful for me as far trying to learn how to project my voice, over come my stage fright & gaining courage. if i could i would drag every teen i know to open mic night's. . its life changing :)