Mission: The Mission of Start A Snowball is the pursuit of the following principles:
• Service: It is the responsibility of everyone, and if each one of us can help the world around us the world would be a much better place.
• Possibility: It is possible for one person to make an enormous difference through a seemingly small effort to help someone. These actions can have long lasting and broad reaching ripples.
• Support: Through offering resources and community we can empower youth to make huge impacts.
• Growth: As we teach children about serving others we can create a movement that can influence a generation to become a generation of givers.
Results: We have supported the community service passions of kids around the country and given them grants to support their projects. Through these projects kids are learning what it is to give, and the power that they have to change the world. We are helping to build the next generation of givers.
Target demographics: build the next generation of givers
Direct beneficiaries per year: Kids around the country follow their passion to help others with inspiration and funding for their own community service projects
Geographic areas served: the US
Programs: • A website offering:
o An online community to inspire, support, and encourage youth to engage in philanthropy
o Online service learning curriculum
o Ideas of possible projects for youth to undertake
o Stories from other youth that have had successful projects
o An open repository of education materials to assist educators and parents in teaching students about the impact they could have
• An opportunity for individuals and organizations to obtain “seed money” (averaging $100 per grant) funding to start their own projects
• A feedback loop to celebrate projects and drive service continuity once the project is complete
What makes Start a Snowball so special is where it came from. This wasn't a board room-started nonprofit, led by (well-meaning) professionals looking to pad their respective resumes. This comes from perhaps the most genuine desires of the most genuine among us: a child. And it appears to continue to be child-led. If you can't get behind the idea of children helping other children, then, well, there's no hope for you.
In all seriousness, I have been HIGHLY impressed with the leadership of SAS and how they have stuck to the core mission. It is run with the passion of a grass roots organization, but with the professionalism of a much larger non-profit. That's not easy to do.
This organization is doing great work in the hope to build the next generation of givers. The children of today will one day have to tackle the problems of tomorrow and Start A Snowball is starting from the ground up to help teach and help kids understand the power they have to change the world.