Mission: The mission of the Northeast Massachusetts Youth Orchestras, Inc. (NMYO) is to provide young musicians with exceptional ensemble training and opportunities for personal growth through musical performance and community service.
The goals of NMYO are to:
- Provide high-quality ensemble training led by top area music professionals
- Offer meaningful music performance opportunities for young musicians
- Provide a nurturing environment for young musicians to create lasting bonds through music & friendship
- Instill the value of community service through music
- Supplement and build upon music programs in schools
- Provide ensemble playing opportunities for students whose schools have no music education in the school setting and for those who are home-schooled
- Build audiences throughout the North Shore, Merrimack Valley, and southern New Hampshire communities
Results: NMYO's Accomplishments include:
- 150+ young musicians, ages 6 through 18
- Eight instrumental ensembles including two string ensembles, two orchestras, one concert band, and three flute choirs
- Weekly rehearsals September through May
- Eight-week chamber music program for our intermediate and advanced musicians
- Six free-to-the-public concerts performed each year
- One weekend of small outreach concerts are presented each year at area nursing homes and senior centers
- Two additional outreach concerts; one in the fall and one in the spring
Target demographics: enrich the region's youth population, ages 6 through 18, with a superior musical experience
Direct beneficiaries per year: 200+ students from 142 families in 34 towns
Geographic areas served: northeast Massachusetts and southern New Hampshire
Programs: Eight youth orchestral ensembles including two string orchestras, two symphony orchestras, one wind ensemble, and three flute choirs. The NMYO program includes weekly rehearsals September through May, six free-to-the-public concerts, master classes, eight-week chamber orchestra program for our symphony musicians, and several small outreach concerts in area nursing homes and senior centers.
NMYO has been the icing on the cake for our talented son. He began playing several instruments at a young age and became serious with the trombone. He quickly outgrew the school band and we were led to the Youth Orchestra. The conductors address the students as serious musicians. They strive to achieve excellence and hold high standards while maintaining a relaxed, accepting , fun atmosphere.
NMYO allows children to excel in their instrument practice while becoming a part of a larger group of like minded musicians.
The performances are comparable to any adult professional orchestra. The performers and conductors are high quality musicians and conduct themselves with professional behavior.
NMYO is a fabulous youth orchestra serving kids from elementary through high school, giving kids who have ability and passion a place to make music in a supportive and nurturing environment alongside other kids who have the same ability and passion.