Mission: Village Volunteers is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization that works in partnership with rural village and capacity-building programs to support the development of sustainable solutions for community survival, education, and growth.
Results: Since 2003, Village Volunteers has grown from a consortium of four community-based organizations in Kenya to 24 partner programs in Ghana, India, Nepal, and Belize.
With the support of volunteers and donors around the world, Village Volunteers has:
- Built classrooms, dormitories, clinics, libraries and resources centers.
- Built a ceramic water filter plant in a village in Kenya that is locally owned and managed that makes 10,000 to 12,000 water filters a year.
- Provided tuition for a student who graduated from medical school who will be opening up clinics in under-served villages near Mt. Elgon.
- Provided 14 young women with college scholarships to be educated as nurses or teachers.
Supported hundreds of orphans and vulnerable children through youth sponsorships.
- Supported the founding and ongoing development of Youth Outreach Mentors (YOM) and the Environmental Youth Action Corps (EYAC): youth groups that educate and inspire members to share what they have learned in village communities.
- Started Kick it With Kenya, a youth soccer tournament and leadership conference that provides healthcare services to impoverished communities and participants annually.
- Supported hundreds of trainings in bio-intensive farming methods, workshops in briquetting, solar cooking, etc.
- Developed tree nurseries and demonstration gardens using bio-intensive farming methods.
- Provided bicycles to be used as couriers for medical supplies and a host of other necessities for a Masaai community, and set up a bicycle repair business for a youth group.
Target demographics: Village Volunteers does not believe in simply giving aid but partnering with stakeholders who work towards self-sufficiency in rural villages through projects that foster economic and educational opportunities, food security, improved health conditions, public health awareness and support for vulnerable children.
Geographic areas served: Kenya, Ghana, India, Nepal & Belize
Programs: - Micro Enterprise Development: supporting self-sufficiency and technical assistance.
- The Environmental Youth Action Corps: Local advocates for a healthy future.
- The Butterfly Project: Creating a brighter future for young women and their communities.
- Feed Villages Sustainable Agriculture: A model for health, practical and sustainable agricultural techniques.
- Youth Outreach Mentors: Empower, Inspire, Educate.
- Kick it with Kenya: Promoting youth health awareness, leadership and empowerment through soccer.
- Orphan & Vulnerable Child Support: Providing nurturing support to orphans and vulnerable children.
- Ceramic Water Filter Program: Providing clean water with locally made and resourced water filters.