Over 1.8 million nonprofits and charities for donors, volunteers and funders

The Mustard Seed Of Central Florida, Inc.

1,301 pageviews

Nonprofit Overview

Causes: Emergency Assistance, Human Services

Mission: Our Mission is to help the most vulnerable persons or families in our Central Florida community as they struggle to re-establish a home in the aftermath of a personal tragedy or natural disaster by providing furniture, clothing, and other household necessities to those who demonstrate the desire to rebuild their lives and become self-sufficient while being environmentally responsible to our community.

Results: During fiscal year 2010-11 over 1,600 Central Florida families, including a minimum of 2,000 children, received help from The Mustard Seed.  Over 99% of those served are economically disadvantaged, per the Federal Poverty Index.  The other 1% are disaster victims whose circumstances left them without financial resources to create new futures. Since its inception The Mustard Seed has served over 43,000 families and individuals.

Target demographics: The Mustard Seed is the only free furniture bank in Central Florida, providing basic household items, clothing, and related fundamentals to give disadvantaged populations or disaster victims the basics to create meaningful futures for themselves and their families.  We primarily serve the Central Florida area.

Direct beneficiaries per year: "Before I came to Florida, my family had no home for one year. It hurt so much living like that, especially seeing my children exposed to such a life. They so wanted and needed a home, and we couldn't give them one. When we finally found a house we could afford and discovered the Mustard Seed Furniture Bank, our lives were changed around; they gave us furniture, clothes, food, and everything imaginable for a home. I pray that some day I can repay the Furniture Bank for all it has done for us. For giving us a new beginning... For bringing us all together under one roof. Something we so longed for. Because of the Mustard Seed Furniture Bank, we now have a place we call home!" Cathy

Programs: We provide our families with a set of furniture that may include a sofa,beds, a table, chairs, a dresser or shelves depending on the family size and what we have available. Much of our furniture has been donated. Lamps, bed linens and other household goods such as dishes and flatware are also available. In general however, a family can only receive furniture from The Mustard Seed once in a lifetime unless they can prove acceptable special circumstances such as uninsured fire or flood.

Community Stories

2 Stories from Volunteers, Donors & Supporters



Rating: 1

They showed up, took the "suggested donation" envelope (we doubled the amount suggested) and left all of the items we were donating, which included some never worn, very high quality clothing and printers, etc. Rip off organization.


General Member of the Public

Rating: 5

Just moved into my own apartment with my 5mth old daughter finally. I am in desperate need of furniture of any kind in good condition. Beds couches chairs appliances tables tvs dressers etc. I lost everything in a housr fire at my previous residence so i have absolutely NOTHING to start a home for us. Any help would be ever so appreciated. Stay blessed