Mission: RVCCC is organized for the public good for the purpose of curbing global warming by bringing about a reduction in greenhouse gas emissions, both those originating in the Roanoke Valley, and those that originate elsewhere as the result of the use of electricity in our community. To accomplish this purpose, RVCCC intends to:
1. Educate the public and government officials within our community about such matters as:
* The science and consequences of global warming;
* The impacts of fossil fuel combustion on air quality, human health, and the natural environment;
* Issues relating to the limited supply of fossil fuels;
* The environmental and social impacts of fossil fuel extraction practices;
* The benefits of energy conservation, energy efficiency, and the use of clean, renewable energy sources;
* The technology and availability of alternative fuels;
* The technology and availability of renewable energy generating systems;
* The technology and sources of energy efficient products;
* The concepts and benefits of conservation and the sustainable use of natural resources;
* The concepts and benefits of energy efficient or "green" architecture and building practices;
* International, national, state and local initiatives to reduce greenhouse gas emissions;
2. Reduce the burden of local government by helping identify ways to reduce utility and fuel expenses through energy efficiency, conservation, and the use of clean, renewable energy source.
3. To the extent allowable by section 501, Internal Revenue Code, devote a limited amount of our resources to advocacy on legislation affecting energy policy, energy efficiency, energy conservation, and renewable energy.
Results: Roanoke Valley Cool Cities Coalition is THE local organization in the Roanoke Valley that is tackling energy policy and the difficult problem of global warming through education, outreach, and community actions.
We know that to slow and ultimately halt global warming, action is needed at every level, from international to personal. Our goal is to encourage the citizens, businesses, organizations, and governments in our community to understand what they can do to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, and to get started with the challenge ahead.
We're not just talking about reducing greenhouse gas emissions, we're actually DOING something about it. Be sure to check out our CFL (Compact Fluorescent Lightbulb) Program link above!
Making smart energy choices has many benefits beyond the fight to curb global warming. Better air quality (both visually and from a human health standpoint), reduction in mountain top removal coal mining, a more secure energy future for our nation, and lowering our overall energy costs are some of these benefits.
The navigation bar above will guide you to all the details about our organization and programs, including how YOU can get involved to help in this urgent campaign. Thanks for your support and interest!!!
Geographic areas served: Roanoke Valley and environs
Professional with expertise in this field
Roanoke Valley Cool Cities Coaltion is a perfect example of the positive impact a grassroots organization can have in a community. Everything they do is volunteer driven. There are no paid staff and no financial motivation for Board members. This organization gets results because of hard work, dedication, in-house expertise on environmental and energy issues, and the willingness to do the daily work in the trenches to help make a difference.
Professional with expertise in this field
The Roanoke Valley Cool Cities Coalition is a dynamic, very active, and very productive enevironmental organization in our region. Their education, consulting, and activist efforts have helped many citizens and organizations move towards a better understanding and a more efficient approach to energy use and its impact. They get an enormous amount of productive work accomplished for an all volunteer organization.
The Roanoke Valley Cool Cities Coalition is working hard in the Roanoke Valley to educate businesses and individuals on ways to lessen our impact on our environment. They have formed a great group of business leaders and concerned citizens that promote environmental awareness in and around our areas. They have started many great projects such as the DIY group which helps individuals with the labor for energy efficient installations and other green initiatives.
I am so excited about the great work we have been able to do through the cooperative efforts of our diverse population of affiliates. Without this large group of individuals, companies and nonprofit groups, we could not be so effective. We reach out to all corners of the community to provide education and practical demonstrations of energy conservation and efficiency.