Mission: Founded in 1960, the Humane Society of Utah (HSU) is a private, 501(c)(3) non-profit organization dedicated to the elimination of pain, fear and suffering in all animals.
Results: Since 1960, the Humane Society of Utah has been sheltering abandoned animals, fighting cruelty and neglect, and creating an environment of respect, responsibility, and compassion for all animals across our state. HSU is an open-admissions shelter, meaning that our doors are always open for any animal that we can legally accept. We work hard to ensure that every healthy and treatable pet that enters our facility will be placed into a loving home. HSU is committed to reaching a 90% placement rate of dogs and cats by 2016, meaning that we will save the lives of over 9,000 companion animals each calendar year (this goal is based on our current annual intake of dogs and cats).
We have no set limits on the length of time that a pet will remain in our adoption program. In our efforts to find all adoptable pets homes, HSU has already achieved the goal of placing all healthy and treatable dogs from our shelter for the past five years. We seek to achieve the same standard for cats within the next two years.
Target demographics: homeless and helpless animals
Direct beneficiaries per year: over 10,000 homeless pets in Utah.
Geographic areas served: Utah
Programs: • Shelter, care, and adoption for homeless and unwanted animals;
• Low-cost sterilization surgeries and vaccinations at our own in-house, state-of-the-art clinic;
• Investigation of animal neglect, cruelty, and abuse throughout the state;
• Humane education programs for school children all along the Wasatch Front;
• Foster department to help young, ill, or special-needs animals become adoptable;
• Outreach department facilitating adoptions through our Animobile and off-site events;
• Rescue/Transfer department bringing in dogs from overcrowded facilities in other areas;
• Lobbying for animal-friendly legislation;
• Publications, special events, and community activities to heighten awareness of animal issues and problems.
The adoption process was very easy and the crew were all very helpful. I adopted a senior min pin and since I'm a senior also I got a huge adoption fee discount. It's a great place to find a addition to the family. So many adorable animals that are in need of a home. I'm thinking about going there again and adopting another