Hearing Loss Network was established to assist peoplewhose lives are affected by hearing loss. This includes family, friends,employers, coworkers, etc., in addition to those with the hearing loss. Hearingloss is a serious condition that impacts every aspect of a person''s life; itcan and often does lead to depression and isolation, problems withinterpersonal relationships, and reduced employment opportunities. Many ofthose afflicted by hearing loss choose to hide their condition, exacerbatingits effect and preventing them from learning about the resources available toassist them. Established in 2002, Hearing Loss Network reaches out to thosewith hearing loss and the important people in their lives and providesresources to help meet their needs. We also advocate for the needs of peoplewith hearing loss and assist organizations to become more accessible to thosewith hearing loss.
Our “Coping with Hearing Loss” program is an intense, sixsession program that provides people with a full arsenal of tools to deal withthe effects of hearing loss. One main focus of this program is speechreading,which provides instruction on techniques to maximize the understanding ofspeech using visual cues. The program also discusses
- Various assistive technologies that can increase a person’sability to understand speech in a variety of situations.
- Alerting devices that inform people with hearing loss ofemergency situations (fire, carbon monoxide, etc.) or of everyday signals thatthey are unable to hear (doorbell, alarm clock, etc.)
- Psychosocial aspects of hearing loss, including the tendencyof people with hearing loss to suffer depression, relationship issues,employment issues, isolation, and low self-esteem.
- Local and national resources.
- Hearing aids and cochlear implants, and how to maximize theireffectiveness.
This organization's nonprofit status may have been revoked or it may have merged with another organization or ceased operations.