Mission: A Place Called Home provides a safe, nurturing environment with proven programs in arts, education, and wellness for the young people in South Central Los Angeles to help them improve their economic conditions and develop healthy, fulfilling and purposeful lives.
Results: • In 2010 nearly 50% of students in our educational programs were able to increase their skills by a full grade level, remaining students increased by ½ grade
• 3,000 hours of free, comprehensive mental health counseling services for students and their families
• Computer training and access for homework. Most of our kids have no computer at home
• Over 3,000 nutritious meals are served every month to youth who live below the poverty line
• APCH offers college preparation and scholarships for students who once did not think college was a viable affordable option for them. The following are results from these programs:
• In 2010 over 60 youth received scholarships and many are the first in their families to attend college
• Bridge to the Future offers SAT, CAHSEE, GED preparation with a six-month College Prep course
• In the past year, more than 80 APCH youth attended tours of college campuses
• APCH members with long-time gang affiliations are now attending college
• 157 unduplicated APCH members, to date, have received Shaheen Scholarships for college
• 100% of APCH members receive support and opportunities for higher education
Target demographics: Low income and underserved youth (8-20 years old) and families in South Central Los Angeles.
Direct beneficiaries per year: More than 1,000 youth
Geographic areas served: South Los Angeles
Programs: Our FREE programs offer outstanding enrichment services using proven models to increase youth performance and behaviors socially and academically. These programs include:
CREATIVE EXPRESSION provides training in music, dance, digital media and fine arts;
EDUCATIONAL SERVICES where we provide tutoring, literacy, math, science and a drop-out recovery program through LAUSD;
HEALTH, NUTRITION AND WELL-BEING that offers daily nutritious meals and snacks, counseling and health resources;
COMMUNITY & VOLUNTEER INITIATIVES to empower parents & members towards advocacy and recruiting volunteers to help with APCH's mission;
RECREATION/ATHLETICS provides physical education and sports;
BRIDGE TO THE FUTURE offers transitional opportunities for teens to enter into a healthy adulthood.
It was great working in a team and helping the organization set things up. I helped combine cutleries and tie them together. It was a wonderful experience. What the organization is doing is really great. I like how you keep things very organized and clean. Thank you for the experience.
I came to A Place Called Home to volunteer for their Thanksgiving dinner set up and I am so impressed by the staff and facilities here. I knew the organization did wonderful work in the community but you realize why they are so successful when you come to volunteer in person. I urge everyone to volunteer in person and to donate!
Very powerful full service support provider to the community surrounding it. A model example of when a non profit has immediate and direct impact on the community it serves in an immensely profound way. Volunteering here is a joy. The positive energy of the place exudes from all around you and you are welcomed and appreciated from the moment you arrive.
A place called home is a great place that has different opportunities for the children in the community. They have basketball courts, a dance studio, and an indoor space. The staff here is very nice, helpful, and caring.