Mission: A Place Called Home provides a safe, nurturing environment with proven programs in arts, education, and wellness for the young people in South Central Los Angeles to help them improve their economic conditions and develop healthy, fulfilling and purposeful lives.
Results: • In 2010 nearly 50% of students in our educational programs were able to increase their skills by a full grade level, remaining students increased by ½ grade
• 3,000 hours of free, comprehensive mental health counseling services for students and their families
• Computer training and access for homework. Most of our kids have no computer at home
• Over 3,000 nutritious meals are served every month to youth who live below the poverty line
• APCH offers college preparation and scholarships for students who once did not think college was a viable affordable option for them. The following are results from these programs:
• In 2010 over 60 youth received scholarships and many are the first in their families to attend college
• Bridge to the Future offers SAT, CAHSEE, GED preparation with a six-month College Prep course
• In the past year, more than 80 APCH youth attended tours of college campuses
• APCH members with long-time gang affiliations are now attending college
• 157 unduplicated APCH members, to date, have received Shaheen Scholarships for college
• 100% of APCH members receive support and opportunities for higher education
Target demographics: Low income and underserved youth (8-20 years old) and families in South Central Los Angeles.
Direct beneficiaries per year: More than 1,000 youth
Geographic areas served: South Los Angeles
Programs: Our FREE programs offer outstanding enrichment services using proven models to increase youth performance and behaviors socially and academically. These programs include:
CREATIVE EXPRESSION provides training in music, dance, digital media and fine arts;
EDUCATIONAL SERVICES where we provide tutoring, literacy, math, science and a drop-out recovery program through LAUSD;
HEALTH, NUTRITION AND WELL-BEING that offers daily nutritious meals and snacks, counseling and health resources;
COMMUNITY & VOLUNTEER INITIATIVES to empower parents & members towards advocacy and recruiting volunteers to help with APCH's mission;
RECREATION/ATHLETICS provides physical education and sports;
BRIDGE TO THE FUTURE offers transitional opportunities for teens to enter into a healthy adulthood.
We had the pleasure of adopting a family for Christmas. Instead of buying gifts for each other my entire immediate family agreed on donating to a better cause, making a family in need happy. So to anyone reading this message next time you are purchasing something, please ask yourself if you need it or want it. Adopt a family!
it was a fantastic experience helping and giving is what the world needs. To bring a smile to someones face is what I call this organization. It was an all around wonderful time. keep up the great work
Amazing experience!! Everyone was super positive and helpful. We all had a great time handing out Thanksgiving dinners!! Very thankful that A Place Called Home helps so many people. We look forward to helping out as much as we can in the future!
This experience made me really appreciate the things I have, and the things I will receive in the future. This experience also made me realize that I'm am blessed to be living the life i'm living, because there's so many people who's lives are way tougher than mine.
I had a great time at A Place Called Home. The atmosphere was energetic and uplifting, and I felt honored to be a part of something like it. We fed the community for thanksgiving, and it was an amazing experience.
The experience was very fun and was very good. It felt good to give back to the community. It also felt good helping people who needed it. I think that this organization is very good and people are very thankful for the things that they do.
I think that the experience was really good for our group. It was good to help the community and see the difference in poverty around my city. I think that the people running the event could've done more. Many of them were standing around and on their phone, while us, volunteers, were working hard.
APCH has always been willing to accommodate our student volunteers, they have excellent programs for their families and find ways to engage the community. They offer volunteers with great opportunities and expose them to different experiences that helps with future career paths.