My Nonprofit Reviews
Review for Campus Middle School For Girls, Urbana, IL, USA
Our daughter attended CMS for two years, for 6th and 7th grade. She loved her time there and learned immensely. Some highlights of the CMS approach include:
- small classes (no more than 13 per class in her time there)
- an emphasis on writing and research skills (easily overlooked in larger classes); the 6th and 7th grade English curriculum was consistently outstanding
- encouraging girls to have confidence in themselves as students and as leaders, particularly in areas like math and science where girls in co-ed classes often defer to boys
- close relationships with teachers and staff
- time for arts, textiles and music, in addition to the core academic subjects
- an effort to take advantage of the resources of the University of Illinois campus (to see plays, visit museums, art galleries, and simply enjoy other facilities, for skating, being outdoors, etc.)
In addition, the cost of this education was very reasonable, given the low student/teacher ratio. It was much more affordable than other independent schools, while being as diverse as public schools.
We highly recommend Campus Middle School for Girls to any family in east-central Illinois looking for a good middle-school education for their daughter(s).