Women Thrive Worldwide
Rating: 4.9 stars 10 reviews
Issues: Civil Rights, International, Women, Economic Development, Microfinance
Location: 1825 Connecticut Ave Nw Ste 600 Washington DC 20009 USA
United in our belief that ending world poverty begins with women, Women Thrive fosters economic opportunity for women in poor countries. By giving women opportunity, you provide a better long-term solution to the problem.
Women Thrive was created in 1998 to ensure that U.S. development and trade policies help, rather than hinder, women around the world. And most importantly, the organization understands that the voices of women are not being heard by U.S. policy makers who are responsible for enacting legislation that affect the lives of women.
Consider the following facts about the condition of women and girls around the world:
- More than 1.3 billion people live on less than $1 a day and women account for the vast majority of the world''s poor (UNDP).
- Forty-eight million children and women are victims of war, natural disasters, extreme poverty and other forms of violence (World Bank).
- Two-thirds of the 880 million illiterate adults around the world are women. Girls account for over 60 percent of the 113 million children not enrolled in primary school worldwide. Of the girls who do begin primary school, only one in four are still in school four years later (UNESCO).
- Women produce between 60 and 80 percent of the food in most developing countries, and are responsible for half the world''s food production. Yet governments and international organizations often fail to recognize their roles as farmers, food producers, and food providers, as well as their contributions to household food security (FAO).
- Women represent 75 percent of workers in the ''shadow'' or informal economy, and have not realized their potential to contribute to and benefit from the global economy.
These facts just begin to illustrate the disadvantaged position of women around the world and the vital role they play in a country''s economic development.
Women Thrive Worldwide works to ensure that U.S. foreign assistance is directed where it can do the most good-- to women, who are proven more likely than men to invest in children''s health, education and welfare. The organization also works to extend fair trade policies, and the growing number of economic opportunities that it offers, to the world''s poorest women.
We work with local women's organizations in developing countries make sure that women's needs are being heard. We work with Congress and other U.S. institutions to shape policies that respond to these needs and empower women worldwide to lift their families, communities, and countries out of poverty.
Filter Reviews by Role
Promote This Nonprofit
For full disclosure, I am a donor and employee of Women Thrive. As an employee, I look forward to working with some of the brightest minds in DC working to remove barriers to women's economic opportunity, including violence against women. As a donor, I support Women Thrive's efforts to change policies that will impact millions of women and girls worldwide. There is no organization like Women Thrive. They are experts in making sure women and girls are included in policies, and they play an important role amplifying the voices of women and girls living in developing countries.
Was your donation impactful?
How likely is it that you would recommend that a friend donate to this group?
How likely are you to donate to this group again?
When was your last experience with this nonprofit?