The Cooperative Downtown Ministries, Inc.
Mental Health, Food, Homeless & Housing, Human Services
1501 Third Ave North PO Box 11722
The Cooperative Downtown Ministries opened The Old Firehouse Shelter on December 21, 1983 to minister to homeless men. The shelter is located in the historic Fire Station #6 of the Birmingham Fire Department on 15th Street and 3rd Avenue North. When the need for housing the homeless in the downtown area reached the crisis stage, the Greater Birmingham Ministries formed a Shelter Work Group. With the cooperation of the city and the Housing Authority of the Birmingham District, the vacant fire station was made available. From this Shelter Work Group, the Cooperative Downtown Ministries (CDM), a not-for-profit organization, was formed in May 1984. CDM, a coalition of churches representing eleven denominations, acts as the administrative body for The Old Firehouse Shelter.