Centers to Support the Independence of Specific Populations,
Mission: Project Single Moms Worldwide, Inc. (PSM) is a volunteer-led national advocacy & empowerment movement designed to empower, educate, engage, energize, equip and enhance the quality of life for single moms and their children. The movement strives to organize and create a unified voice for single moms as well as to dispel negative myths and stereotypes by redefining the face and character of single moms in America. Members have access to a special fund for single moms called “A Hand Up™” Fund which offers temporary financial assistance to single moms for emergency and empowerment purposes without obligation to repay. Membership is free and open to single moms from all socioeconomic and ethnic backgrounds.
Results: 2010 YEAR IN REVIEW
• Project Single Moms Worldwide (PSM WW) along with its NJ, Chicago, LA, Houston, Atlanta, and Metro DC affiliates co-presented the Project Working Mom (PWM) 2010's Women Who Rule the World Networking Dinner Series hosting more than 1,500 women in six cities. The PWM campaign awarded more than $5 million in 285 full-tuition scholarships to working and/or single moms to return back to school to pursue advanced degrees. A very special thanks to Shanick Moore, Loretta Rivers, Tameeka Moody, FaKelia Guyton, Kelly Meeks, Angela Hudson, LaTanya Lamar, Paula Smith, Ruby Gatling, Amanda Edwards, Kristy Lewis, Carla Howard, Ladwona Salary and all the PSM committee leaders and members who stepped up and supported events in their local communities.
• Project Single Moms Worldwide was invited to participate in the 2010 Essence Music Festival and was exposed to more than 300,000 festival attendees during the three-day event. The festival was a wonderful platform to promote the movement and our brand. National staff members and PSM-Atlanta Local Coordinators connected with hundreds of single moms across the country and signed up more than 500 new members at the festival. PSM WW was also provided an onstage platform to present a seminar on Redefining Single Moms in America.
• Initially created as a program under the umbrella of My Daughter's Keeper, Inc. and due to the drastic growth of the Project Single Moms movement, PSM WW was legally registered as a separate non-profit business entity now headquartered in Atlanta, GA. PSM WW’s tax exempt application has been approved by the IRS. As a 501c3 non-profit organization, PSM WW will be able to pursue local, state, and federal funding opportunities to support the work of the national office, replenish A Hand Up Fund to provide member support, and to support its affiliates through technical assistance and training.
• In October 2010, Project Single Moms Worldwide, Inc. launched the Small Business Academy for Single Mothers developed to help single moms pave their own way as entrepreneurs and small business owners. The inaugural class of the Small Business Academy consists of seven PSM leaders who have participated in a 12-week business training to launch their local affiliates as 501c3 nonprofit businesses. The next class will begin in May 2011 serving 15-20 single mothers.
• Our membership increased by more than 43% in 2010 and we now have more than 2,000 members in 45 states and six countries.
• While our leadership has changed through some of our local affiliates in 2010, we have recruited new leaders who have launched new affiliates bringing us to 14 active affiliates: New Jersey; Queens, NY; Metro Chicago, IL; Metro DC; Newport News; VA; Hampton, VA; Suffolk, VA; Tampa/St. Pete, FL; Memphis, TN; Indianapolis, IN; Winston-Salem, NC; Atlanta, GA; Birmingham, AL; and Waco, TX.
• In 2010, through "A Hand Up Fund" which provides temporary financial assistance to single moms for emergency and empowerment purposes, PSM WW helped 17 single moms with rental assistance, utility assistance, emergency travel, clothing, toys and school supplies for their children, OB/GYN office visits and procedures, educational assistance and auto repair assistance.
• Project Single Moms Worldwide has redesigned its website and officially did a soft launch of the new website on January 1. The website is now available for viewing. Please be patient as we finalize uploading content so we can ensure the new website provides information and resources to help enhance the quality of life for single moms in our core empowerment areas. Please visit our new website and let us know what you think. www.projectsinglemoms.com.
• Project Single Moms Worldwide is excited about the many strategic partnerships currently under discussion and development to provide new opportunities and access to resources to our membership. Here's a partial list of new strategic partnerships:
o National Council of Women Organizations
o National Coalition of 100 Black Women
o Dress for Success Worldwide, Inc.
o Women for Hire/Spark and Hustle
o National Crittenton Foundation
o Association for Enterprise Opportunity
o National Women's Law Center
Target demographics: Single mothers, teen mothers
Direct beneficiaries per year: 40-50
Geographic areas served: Nationally
Programs: NATIONAL PROGRAMS:
Unity Night & Membership Drive
Advocacy & Legislative Week
Project Single Teen Moms Mentorship Program
Small Business Academy for Single Mothers
My Hero Mom: A Celebration of Single Moms
National Conference for Single Mothers (2012)